To Everyone Who Is Pming Me About Cricut Issues

Decorating By leah_s Updated 29 May 2010 , 4:59am by marthajo1

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 2:45pm
post #1 of 80

I am not a Cricut expert. There are plenty of experts on here. I'm the SPS "expert." I'm happy to help you with any and all SPS issues.

I use the Cricut primarily with edible paper.

I have used it with gumpaste. I rolled the gp to 9 I think on the pasta roller - as thin as paper, literally. I let it dry. I ran it thru the Cricut and cut shapes. It worked for me.

I tried using it with icing sheets, but my icing sheets were old and cracked. If your icing sheets are fresh it will probably work.

Finally, I think the Cricut is the worst thing that has happen to caking ever. It is destroying the creativity and artisty of what we do.

Please resume your normal caking.

79 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 80

I don't see the difference cutting with a cricut or a cookie/gumpaste cutter. One isn't any more creative then the other.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 2:56pm
post #3 of 80

LOL Leah!!!!!! (Finding the inbox thing humorous for some reason, can't put my finger on it...)

I haven't bought one, don't think I have room for one, and don't think I have time for one! I am thinking that figuring out how to cut a shape out myself or buying a cutter is going to be faster than figuring out how to use the Cricut, figuring out how to use the software, or worrying about premade cutter copyrights....

I've seen some awesome cakes using one...totally...but I'm not on the bandwagon yet!

My next big purchase will probably be an agbay...even that looks rather big and unwieldy too...hm.

leah_s Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 3:06pm
post #4 of 80

EXactly, Kita. That thing is still a big ole paperweight for me. I have hundreds of cutters and a sharp Exacto.

Pretty soon I'm going to start every sentence with "Back in MY day . . ."

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 5:10pm
post #5 of 80

I have mixed feelings about it. I ordered one, with the comfort that I can return it within 30 days if I don't like it. I may love the thing, or I may hate it. I'm not sure how it is going to destroy the creativity of the cake industry though. I don't think of myself to be extremely creative, but by no means do I have to depend on a machine like this to make cakes. I ordered the it because I think it could help me with very intricate design such as snowflakes (always wanted to do the little boogers, just can't get them right). I think most professionals are like me, they ordered it to enhance their business...not to depend on it.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 5:12pm
post #6 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

I don't see the difference cutting with a cricut or a cookie/gumpaste cutter. One isn't any more creative then the other.

Ha ha ha! I'm still on the fence about the usefulness of the cricut, but I think that there are going to be a lot of butt-ugly cricut cakes being produced soon, if people who have designed a cake before can figure out how not to tear the gumpaste into tiny pieces in it, that is!

leah_s Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 1:01am
post #7 of 80

Honestly, everyone, I just love you all to pieces, but please stop PMing and emailing me Cricut questions.

I'm the SPS gal around here. I'm more than happy to trouble shoot SPS for you. I also call the Friday Night Cake Club to order every Friday Night between 10:30 and 10:45 EST. Those are my primary contributions.

Frankly, I don't even like the Cricut.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 1:08am
post #8 of 80

I thought I wanted it... until I saw all the "laws and regulations" that come with getting one.... so if I need a lawyer before I can use the thing... then it might NOT be worth it lol

Kitagrl Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 1:12am
post #9 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis4joe

I thought I wanted it... until I saw all the "laws and regulations" that come with getting one.... so if I need a lawyer before I can use the thing... then it might NOT be worth it lol

That's what I"m thinking!

Plus it seems rather bulky, I use all my countertop space as it is, I don't think I have room for another huge machine. As it is, I couldn't keep my edible image printer going for longer than two years so...no more machines for me.

Seems sorta along the same lines as a printer really...I could probably find uses for it, but I can probably "make do" without it as well...finding things online to order, or making things by hand...and save the $250 or $300 in the process.

dalis4joe Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 1:23am
post #10 of 80

I do are limited in the counter space... but I just imagined being able to actually SELLL cake with those scroll designs and many other intricate things.... but if it's going to be like you have to talk to this person or than person or ask or get special permits to do so.... it means that I will mostly use it for freebie cakes.... I dunno... I just got a little discourage when I went to see all these demos and they talk so much about how it was so perfect and convinient to have and reading the threads here.... now it doesn't seem "so appealing" anymore....

dalis4joe Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 1:24am
post #11 of 80

and almost $400 on HSN.... it's kinda too much... as it is... I have been debating on getting the damask stencil cause it so pricey HAHAHAHA imagine this lol

Kitagrl Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 1:28am
post #12 of 80

I either buy stencils as I need them...OR one thing I've been doing lately is every time I place an order from GSA...I try to throw in one or two extra things that I can use within the next couple months...or something I think will come in handy for an upcoming cake...after awhile, you end up collecting quite a few cool things. Stuff like molds and stencils, you never know when those will come in handy!!!! And cutters too.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 1:35am
post #13 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Finally, I think the is the worst thing that has happen to caking ever. It is destroying the creativity and artisty of what we do.

I love this statement. It mirrors what I heard Kerry VIncent say in Las Vegas one year:

"We MUST preserve the art of buttercream. There are too many people who push some material in a mold, slap it on a cake and think that makes them a cake decorator."

In this world of "scratch vs mix" debating, I find it funny to observe that decorations made from a machine or a mold or pre-bought is ok compared to the "old fashioned" piping and BC roses and freehand intricate designs .... that somehow there's no debate or discussion on THIS "scratch vs. pre-made" issue.

Not trying to start the debate ... just an interesting observation. icon_rolleyes.gif

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 1:36am
post #14 of 80

Leah_S:

I can only imagine you inbox. And thats totally not cool.

I have a regular personal cricut and have just used it to play around. It does cut gumpaste/fondant well but like you said "so does my exacto knife"

Leah_ I have gone thrue the sps system threat and still cannot figure it out. Im thinking that it may be an awesome more affortable version of the cakestackers version. And by the way I love the friday night cake club !!!

dalis4joe Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 1:38am
post #15 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

Finally, I think the is the worst thing that has happen to caking ever. It is destroying the creativity and artisty of what we do.

I love this statement. It mirrors what I heard Kerry VIncent say in Las Vegas one year:

"We MUST preserve the art of buttercream. There are too many people who push some material in a mold, slap it on a cake and think that makes them a cake decorator."

In this world of "scratch vs mix" debating, I find it funny to observe that decorations made from a machine or a mold or pre-bought is ok compared to the "old fashioned" piping and BC roses and freehand intricate designs .... that somehow there's no debate or discussion on THIS "scratch vs. pre-made" issue.

Not trying to start the debate ... just an interesting observation. icon_rolleyes.gif

I saw a demo with a very very very very famous cakester and he stated that ALL his cakes now are done with molds he makes with silicone.... so no more art by hand I guess... I like making my own things like modeling... flowers... etc...

Kitagrl Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 1:46am
post #16 of 80

I will say that it takes more than a cricut to make you a cake decorator though...you have to have some ability to ice a cake, possibly fondant the said cake, and be able to use color and design in a pleasing way.

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 1:51am
post #17 of 80

If everything is made by machine or mold, where does the talent come in? Except for icing the cake, I guess...

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 1:53am
post #18 of 80
Quote:

Please resume your normal caking.

Can I get an AMEN?! I love my cricut, because I was a scrapbooker LONG before I was a cake designer/pastry chef. I was happy when I realized I could ALSO use it for caking now and then, but yeah there is SO much more to cake artistry than this! There is nothing WRONG with using a cricut (or molds, cutters, etc), but no ONE of those methods makes someone a cake artist... it's all of those techniques (and so many, many more) and as many have said we need to preserve ALL of the traditional methods in tandem with the new technologies that come forth. One should not make the other extinct.

Kitagrl Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 1:53am
post #19 of 80

There are plenty of people who cannot ice a cake (I still haven't gotten that one down too well haha), fondant a cake, or match colors worth anything...

I don't think the cricut is going to make cake decorators out of every American mom...

anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 2:03am
post #20 of 80

Personally I think it is a trendy fad...I don't see it sticking around forever (fingers crossed). Cake decorating is immensely popular right now everyone wants to be Duff or Buddy or whatever...I think it's great; but just like I wanted to be Indiana Jones when I was 7--it just wont last. I have a Cricut and I use it as a tool in my tool box. To be honest I haven't made more than a handful of cakes with it...it takes too much time for me icon_wink.gif Love a good debate though!

dalis4joe Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 2:03am
post #21 of 80
Quote:

Quote:

I saw a demo with a very very very very famous cakester and he stated that ALL his cakes now are done with molds he makes with silicone.... so no more art by hand I guess... I like making my own things like modeling... flowers... etc...

Kaylani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaylani Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 2:03am
post #22 of 80

I wacthed the HSN CCake last night & honestly? It was a great sales pitch. It appealed to home crafters who like gadgets (I am one too). But lets all remember that in order to make the cake look great the foundation has look good.
For most people that isnt going to happen. Period. I am interested in using the Cricuit to do lettering becuase it would open up a bunch of new fonts & cutting out letters is not an important thing I need to spend time on.

DEANCROTALID Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DEANCROTALID Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 2:09am
post #23 of 80

Okay, I am new here so I don't want to step on any toes or offend anyone. But the Reason I got into cake decorating was (other than loving it!) was all the beautiful cakes I have seen by many of you and others, I love to wow people! (I know I have a long way to go...but work with me here) I had NO idea that people were using machines to create images for them! I just wanted to say that I personally take so much more pride in a cake knowing that I, and I alone created this! It seems like it would feel almost like cheating to have a electronic gadget do the work for you.

dalis4joe Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 2:12am
post #24 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEANCROTALID

Okay, I am new here so I don't want to step on any toes or offend anyone. But the Reason I got into cake decorating was (other than loving it!) was all the beautiful cakes I have seen by many of you and others, I love to wow people! (I know I have a long way to go...but work with me here) I had NO idea that people were using machines to create images for them! I just wanted to say that I personally take so much more pride in a cake knowing that I, and I alone created this! It seems like it would feel almost like cheating to have a electronic gadget do the work for you.

I agree.... Margaret Braun said it best: "I am an artist, I work with my hands".... if everything u do is with a machine or a mold... then where is your art?... I agree that it's good for SOME things... like stated above.. maybe fonts... but I take pride in doing my art (well now me and hubby doing my art) lol we just found out he can hand paint a cake like nothing! so he is my new machine hehehehe

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 2:23am
post #25 of 80

I am not a big fan of all cricut decorating. I was so glad on unltimate cake off when Margret Braun told the one competitor to get her hands in the cake. It seems to be a nice toy with some useful aspects but seems to take away from the artistry. IMHO

leah_s Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 2:23am
post #26 of 80

ayerim979, Please PM me with your SPS questions, or feel free to start a new thread. I'd LOVE to help with that!! icon_smile.gif

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 2:28am
post #27 of 80

Wow. I mean, it's all about what the bride/customer wants and keeping up with trends. Some people don't like fondant, some people think buttercream cakes are boring. I also see no difference in it than using a cutter, like the tappits. There's certainly no skill involved in those, yet tons of people have them. It's great for decorating a cake board with Happy Birthday or just adding elements to your cheaper bday cakes - where the customer isn't looking for something intricate. If there's a market for it, why not? It's DEFINITELY nothing I'd enter in a cake contest - but if my bride brings me a photo with it or I need to knock out the umpteenth version of a character cake...
Why not use a cricut to cut a shape, but then take it and make it your own - embellish it, add other elements. There's also a whole nother facet of the cricut most people haven't seen where you do create your own design. I have seen beautiful cakes with elegant monograms, intricate hand designed scrolls, and embellished with rhinestones and lustre dust that brides have gone gaga over. If they want to pay me $$$ for it, I'm not going to stop them.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 2:38am
post #28 of 80

Just because you cut the shape out with a machine doesn't mean the cake will look good. There will be plenty of cakes that look like a monkey iced them with cricut shapes slapped on...Cakewrecks, watch out!

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 2:45am
post #29 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I will say that it takes more than a to make you a cake decorator though...you have to have some ability to ice a cake, possibly fondant the said cake, and be able to use color and design in a pleasing way.

Not to mention being able to actually MAKE a cake that tastes good, too!!

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 3:03am
post #30 of 80
Quote:

It mirrors what I heard Kerry VIncent say in Las Vegas one year:

Oh man, I've tried, really tried. I don't mind people using moulds, it's not really any of my business anyway, but too many people can't pipe a bead border to save their lives. It's an important part of cake decorating! It's where the skills come into play.

I build an entire business on this concept of preserving the art of royal icing, because a cake decorator who cannot use a piping bag is like a trained pastry chef who cannot bake a cake from scratch at all icon_lol.gif I am SO oldfashioned. But I really don't mind.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%