Home Business License In Philadelphia

Business By Ms_Rose_Heartsfield Updated 24 Apr 2010 , 5:47pm by Kitagrl

Ms_Rose_Heartsfield Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ms_Rose_Heartsfield Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 2:08pm
post #1 of 6

Hello Everyone,
I am new to the forum and I'm sorry if this has been asked already but I have recently started cake decorating and may one day hope to start selling cakes but I don't really know if philadelphia will allow licenses for home kitchens. I looked on the spreadsheet but the only had it varies by county for pennsylvania. Any comments or personal experience stories would be greatly appreciated icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
megankennedy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megankennedy Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 12:10am
post #2 of 6

Hello, I was asking this question a while ago as well! Home food preparation business are not allowed in any capacity in the city of Philadelphia, if you are looking to legally sell your cakes/food/whatever edible...

Visit the city's website at www.phila.gov and find the health department. You can call and have them send you an information packet regarding everything you would need to get started, or you can stop by - they are in University City behind Children's Hospital.

I'm actually applying for the Health Plan Review next week, I just sign a lease on a storefront in South Philly a couple of weeks ago. Very exciting!

Ms_Rose_Heartsfield Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ms_Rose_Heartsfield Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 5:30pm
post #3 of 6

thats interesting because I had read conflicting information somewhere but I am going to try and call the health department to find out more information, thank you

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 5:35pm
post #4 of 6

depends where you live in Philly...

The permit is only 35$... BUT
I order to get the permit you need a letter from the zoning dept. well the zoning dept will automatically reject your application... you then need to do a public hearing... the process takes about 3 yrs to complete.... and to get the zoning issues resolved... you are talking about 2500$ to start the process....
So... in order ot get what you really need... which is the permit to bake/sell cakes from home... you need to pass the zoning issues and that's where it gets sticky and lengthy...


Ms_Rose_Heartsfield Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ms_Rose_Heartsfield Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 5:39pm
post #5 of 6

you have to love big city politics...they make it so that you never get anything done at all at least not in a timely manner

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 5:47pm
post #6 of 6

WOW what a difference a few miles makes. Yikes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%