Any Ideas To Make It Not So "wilton"ish??

Decorating By ajmccray Updated 15 Apr 2010 , 6:27pm by sheena

ajmccray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajmccray Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 3:51am
post #1 of 12

I'm making a cake for a friend, carved with the logo of UK on it (Wildcats, not the United Kingdom) icon_biggrin.gif Anyway, I found one on here that I like but while I like the look of the cake, the star tip was used. Now, I have nothing against the lovely star tip, but when I see a cake covered with a star tip, I think Wilton course 1.

I plan to do a base ice in white (smoothed) and then fill in with blue, with some type of texture. So, getting around to my question, any suggestions on what I can do instead of a star tip?

I don't want to do the whole thing smooth because I think it needs a little something extra. They don't want fondant so I'm just trying to think of some different tip or something that will give it that extra texture I'm looking for, without me feeling that it is beginner.

Now, truth be told, I'm sure the people receiving the cake won't think anything of it, and if you're the person who created the cake I am attaching please don't get offended. It's a great cake, just want something a little different. Thanks so much!!

Angela
LL

11 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajmccray Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 11:20am
post #3 of 12

Well, I thought about that but I cannot get the hang of a FBCT. I don't know why but each time I do it I end up having to just redraw it on the cake. Maybe I could do dots with like a tip 12 instead of stars? I don't know that I've ever seen that done?? Any other ideas? Thanks for the idea Jan.

Angela

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 11:32am
post #4 of 12

how ever you do the main cake, you could just outline the blue and flood with ri. but if you have the cake shaped like that, it will be tricky to cover with fondant or smooth bc!
xx

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 11:38am
post #5 of 12

Go Wildcats! I do understand what you mean about the "wilton look". It's a gorgeous cake still.
Anyway, I would try to do the sides smooth BC, but unless you do a RI runout plaque, which would be hard to transfer at a large size, the only thing I can think of it to use the star tip on the top and smooth the sides.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 12:03pm
post #6 of 12

I think instead of adding texture it would look really cool to add dimension. Ice the whole thing white and smooth and then do the blue parts raised out of an fbct (practice) or fondant cutouts (I'm sure they won't mind if JUST the blue part is fondant) If using fondant for the blue parts you have the option of using a texture sheet too and impressing an overall pattern, that won't look anything like a wilton cake for sure!!

ajmccray Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 12:38pm
post #7 of 12

Ok the blue part being fondant I am thinking is a possibility. My only hang up there is that the whole logo is outlined in blue so I don't think I could make a continuous snake of fondant or ribbon that long. I cut it out last night and this cake is about 14 x14. I do plan on icing the sides smooth ab the little white on top will be smooth as well. I do appreciate all the ideas, keep them coming if you have anymore.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 1:25pm
post #8 of 12

Just be sure to email the UK Public Relations department and get permission to use the UK *if* this is a cake to be sold. They'll give you a one-use permission and are very gracious about it.

jennywenny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennywenny Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 4:18pm
post #9 of 12

You could make the logo out of either fondant or modelling chocolate, the candy melts come out pretty 'white' if they are dead set against fondant. I sometimes make the thing and then pop it on the top of the cake, egImage

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 6:02pm
post #10 of 12

I would just do the blue outlined part with blue buttercream, maybe a beaded border, or a dragging pearl border (is that what it's called?) and do the acutal blue letter portions in fondant and add an impression to them.

Here is a cake with a fondant cross with an impression, just adds a little something to it.
LL

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 6:18pm
post #11 of 12

What about smooth blue background with a blue glitter sugar? Pipe the white border. Easy and different.

sheena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheena Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 6:27pm
post #12 of 12

Flaked coconut colored blue will give you texture too... or you could use the star tip itself and pipe lines or dashes in blue instead of stars...blue colored sprinkles can also be used...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%