Going The Extra Mile?

Decorating By mbark Updated 23 Apr 2010 , 4:01pm by cvigil

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 3:13am
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone,
I was just wondering if anyone else deals with this, and I have to start off by saying this is only a hobby for me, not my main source of income- I have found at least 1/2 the time when I make a cake I usually end up doing more work than the customer wanted to "go the extra mile" & really wow them, but also for the integrity of the cake (hate to leave them too plain). It's not to the point that the customer wouldn't like it, just a few extras. The problem is that obviously this is not covered in the price & I think I may run into problems with them returning expecting the same thing & that time I may not have the time/resources to do it again. Any advice?

8 replies
tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 3:25am
post #2 of 9

first rule.. give them what they want. no more, no less. A lot of clients want exactly what was agreed upon and don't always appreciate the extras. Best to just do your best work, and give them exactly what they paid for to their specifications. UNLESS.. they give you free reign of design. Then go hog wild but keep within a budgeted amount so you arent losing money on the cake. icon_smile.gif

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 3:41am
post #3 of 9

It seems to be more of a situation like this-
customer wants cake A
I tell them their budget is more like cake B
I end up adding more details to make the cake cuter more like cake A
I think I'm the loser in this equation!

AnotherCreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCreation Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 3:45am
post #4 of 9

I have done a few cakes that I went above and beyond on because I wanted to have a picture of the "extra" but I also asked them if it was ok and of course they said yes and this way they won't just be expecting me to do more next time.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 3:47am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbark

customer wants cake A

Yes you are.

I'd love to have a Big Mac.
I only have money for a happy meal.
Guess what's going to be in my bag when I get to the drive-thru window?

another way to look at it, along the lines of what tesso said....

I order a cheeseburger with pickles.
Someone decides to go "the extra mile" and put ketchup and mustard on it.
I don't like ketchup and mustard.
I throw sandwich in trash and tell all my friends how they messed up my order.

bakermom3107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermom3107 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 3:49am
post #6 of 9

Unfortunately I do this alot, too! Most times, someone wants a sheet cake and I end up doing some 3D carved cake. They always love it and sometimes even pay extra, like a tip, but I just do it b/c I love toicon_smile.gif

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 4:03am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbark

customer wants cake A

You are definitely the loser. Basically you are getting paid less per hour now and while I understand your desire to wow and satisfy your customers and give them what they want you have to realize you are setting a precedent. You will starting getting people wanting the $40 cake for $20 because their friend just got that deal.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 4:04am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakermom3107

Unfortunately I do this alot, too! Most times, someone wants a sheet cake and I end up doing some 3D carved cake. They always love it and sometimes even pay extra, like a tip, but I just do it b/c I love toicon_smile.gif

Now that's like ordering a Happy Meal and getting a Ruth Chris steak dinner! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

cvigil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cvigil Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 4:01pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakermom3107

Now that's like ordering a Happy Meal and getting a Ruth Chris steak dinner! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

lol! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%