Blueberry Filling For Chocolates, Question About Products...

Sugar Work By JCE62108 Updated 15 Apr 2010 , 12:58pm by minicuppie

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 11:10pm
post #1 of 2

I had a customer change what they wanted last minute, so now Im trying to figure out what I have on hand that I can use for a blueberry filling for these chocolate.

I just tried something, and it tastes pretty good, but please tell me if you think this will work.

I recieved several samples of amoretti swirls a few weeks ago, one happened to be blueberry. These are totally shelf stable. I tasted it, its a little strong, so I mixed it with some bettercreme, which is also supposed to be shelf stable. It toned it down and made it slightly like a blueberrys and cream flavor, but more on the blueberry side. I think it's nice.

I painted some dark chocolate in some molds and filled it. Seems nice. Only thing is, Im worried about the chemisty of it. Im not very familiar with working with chocolate, or with mixing these types of fillings.

It tastes ok now, but I worry that whatever chemicals are in these products may react with each other and make a weird flavor if it sits. OR that it may react with the chocolate in some way.

The only reason this comes to mind is because a cake store employee once told me I can NEVER mix fresh strawberries with strawberry filling, because the acidity interacts with the filling and changes the flavor. She told me I can only use glaze with strawberries because it was made for that purpose.

So, now everytime I go mixing things, I worry about the chemistry of it. Do any of you know if its ok to make chocolates this way? Or do I have to use fillings specifically made for chocolates?

Im thinking of just taking the swirl by itself and filling the chocolates with it. It was good with the bettercreme toning it down, but I want to see if the strong blueberry flavor will be good as well. Im going to try it in a second.

I also bought some canned blueberry pie filling, with the idea of straining out the chunks and just using the liquidy-syrupy portion to fill the chocolates. It says it needs refridgeration, but I wonder if they are just saying that to be safe. Do most pie fillings really need to be refridgerated for safty reasons or could it just be for flavor purposes or something? (the bakery I worked at had sleeved custard that said it required refridgeration, but it really didnt. It wouldnt spoil. It just helped the consistency of it.)

I have to have these saturday so Im not going to have time to order anything. This looks like my only options unless you guys have a better idea for me!

I wonder if sleeved blueberry filling would work as well.....still....wont have time to order it. icon_sad.gif

1 reply
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 12:58pm
post #2 of 2

I would suggest you get with the people that sent the samples. They should be able to help you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%