Circut Cake

Decorating By beenie51 Updated 14 Apr 2010 , 11:02pm by beenie51

beenie51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beenie51 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 16

Hey, for anyone interested in the circut cake HSN is offering as their launch. Has one design package that will not be offered retail anywhere else.It also comes with "frosting sheets, basic and (fancy?) cake designs. Doing demonstrations and placing on fondant covered cakes.
What I thought was funny is they were telling people why spend hundreds of dollars for a cake when you can do this yourself. Yes, I agree the circut will help but I don't know of anywhere where you can get a plain tiered fondant covered cake for cheap. They were telling people they could buy the cakes wherever to decorate.

15 replies
sgraff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgraff Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 3:50pm
post #2 of 16

I agree. I posted about this in the business forum. I think it is irresponsible of HSN and Provo Craft to say the things they were saying. Yes, they are trying to sell a product, but there can real legal ramifications for someone if they just "decide to start selling cakes" and that is not allowed where they live.

And yes, people are going to think they can get "plain" a 3 tiered cake for $50.

My post about this:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-676275.html

Bfisher2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bfisher2 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 4:14pm
post #3 of 16

I watched the launch last night on live stream and wondered how it was that Carrie Biggers didnt lean over to the rep and "jinger" and smack her in the mouth.
I was actually a little turned off by their "presentation" It seems that they were trying my minimize what we do for a living as childs play.
So after seeing that I made a company policy... no plain undecorated cakes leave here.
Not only is it insulting but there are LIABILITY issues that would drag your butt through the mudd if something happened!
Lets see if wally world will sell them a plain cake...*LOL*

shelly-101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelly-101 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 4:47pm
post #4 of 16

I totally agree the whole thing bothered me too so i did the same and am not selling any undecorated cakes. where i live i am the only cake shop for two hundred miles besides the store chain bakeries and there are a lot of wanna be cake decorators i have had lots of people ask if they could come in and watch me decorate cakes so they could learn how to do them. so hopefully no one form around here seen the infomercial......lol or i jest might be getting orders for undecorated cakes.

mark771 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mark771 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 5:35pm
post #5 of 16

I saw this a NSN last nite myself. While its a neat item. Unless I missed it earlier they didn't show them covering a cake in fondant. I can just see some newbie buying one of those cutting machines then buying the wilton fondant and trying to cover a cake with that on their first try.
On another note as to everyone thinking they can do a $800.00 cake by themselves, just go to store and buy the undecorated cake, well I'm buy trade a florist and this "mind of thinking" has plaqued florists for yrs. now ever since "Martha" told everyone they could make their own wedding flowers. To top it off she said they could make them the morn of their wedding UGGH...

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 5:47pm
post #6 of 16

yeah, buy our $400 machine and you can decorate your own cake for only $100!! Too bad you might know a decorator that would do it for $300 lol

TeriO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TeriO Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 5:50pm
post #7 of 16

I was watching this with my 13 year old son and even he said "Mom I feel sorry for those people that buy that machine and think that's all they need to make a cake." What were they thinking?

CoutureCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCakeCreations Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 5:50pm
post #8 of 16

I really hadnt even thought about what they were saying. You all have made such a good point. I also will implement the "no undecorated cakes for sale" policy. I ordered the cricut cake and am so excited to try it. Cant wait until it arrives!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 6:20pm
post #9 of 16

Wait about 6 months and get one on ebay after people are disgusted with them.

CoutureCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCakeCreations Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 6:23pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I really cant see people being disgusted with it. Well maybe someone who has no clue how to handle gumpaste and fondant.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 6:32pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoutureCakeCreations

Quote:

I really cant see people being disgusted with it. Well maybe someone who has no clue how to handle gumpaste and fondant.

That's going to be the majority of people who buy it thinking that all takes to make a designer cake is to press a button!

curiegas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
curiegas Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 7:04pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoutureCakeCreations

Quote:

That's going to be the majority of people who buy it thinking that all takes to make a designer cake is to press a button!

I agree with you costumeczar. Did you see that even the presenter was getting the gumpaste/fondant torn when doing a couple of the designs? When someone trys to do their wedding cake the night before because they said it was so simple, they are going to be so disappointed and want to chunk it out the window!!!!

Bfisher2 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 9:47pm
post #13 of 16

So what we can all be prepared for is the bride calling at 10:00pm the night before her wedding in tears because she cant get her cake to "look right.... you know.... like they did on HSN!" and wanting you to do an emergency cake...

CHARGE DOUBLE AS AN IDIOT FEE AND ALSO TAKE HER CAKE CRICUT AS PAYMENT!!!!!!

You may now add meniacle laughter here.... icon_twisted.gif

Bfisher2 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 9:51pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:

Do you think 6 months.... I figure 3-4 weeks...*LOL*.... ya know... we should start a betting pool on this one.... icon_rolleyes.gif

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 9:54pm
post #15 of 16

It was a little scary when they kept saying how old cakes are from bakeries. "You can make yours fresh!" Yeah, sometime between the rehersal, brunch, hairdresser, photographer and oh, yeah, the CEREMONY!

beenie51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beenie51 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 11:02pm
post #16 of 16

Yes, there will be people calling at the last minute because the wedding cake did not come out as they thought it would. icon_eek.gif
I hope that most of the people buying the circut cake have some knowledge of cake decorating.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%