Making A Graduation Cap

Decorating By Ladiesofthehouse Updated 16 Apr 2010 , 12:51pm by Price

Ladiesofthehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladiesofthehouse Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 8:13pm
post #1 of 8

Is there a "best" way? I will be making one as a topper on the tiered cake for our high school's graduation party.

Do I just shape gumpaste over something round to get the bottom of the cap?

The mortar board looks pretty straightforward, as does the tassle.

7 replies
justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 8:29pm
post #2 of 8

Some have used a half of a styoform ball - cover it with scran wrap. Then roll out your gumpaste cover and trim. Once dry you and the top of the hat. Which should be all ready dry = attached with chocolate, royal icing or water down gumpaste to make glue. Remove from styoform and your set. You should make two just in case.

Good luck

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 8:55pm
post #3 of 8

I made one of these as the topper of a grad cake and I used fondant with a little gumtex powdered mixed in, and shaped the round part over the 1/2 mini ball pan from wilton. Dust the pan really well with cornstarch and let it dry over night. You may prefer covering the ball with saran wrap to keep it from sticking. I made the mortar board flat and just let it dry. don't forget the little nobby on top of the mortar board. It finishes off those little detailsicon_smile.gif

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 10:21pm
post #4 of 8

When i need to make a small grad cap, i use a standard cup cake pan and one cavity with chocolate (in the appropriate color) and i use a square cookie cutter to mold the mortarboard then just glue with chocolate after its set.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 2:55am
post #5 of 8

peg818, That's a great idea...I'll be doing that next time!

Ladiesofthehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladiesofthehouse Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 2:42am
post #6 of 8

Thank you very much for the great suggestions! it is very helpful to me.

sweettooth88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth88 Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 12:39pm
post #7 of 8

this is a silly question but what is a mortar board?

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 12:51pm
post #8 of 8

Depending on the size cap I want, I either bake a standard size cupcake or the larger muffin size. I slice off the top of the cupcake to make it flat. I then turn the cupcake upside down, give it a thin covering of buttercream and then cover it with fondant. For the mortar board, I either roll out a piece of fondant with tylose added or gumpaste and cut a square whatever size is needed. If I don't have time to let the square dry so that it won't droop, I cut a thin piece of cardboard (similar to the cardboard that comes is a new folded shirt), and cover both sides of that with a piece of fondant/gumpaste. I then use a small piece of fondant rope from my sugargun to finish off the edge of the motar board. That is then attached to the "top" of the cap. I make a little button and attach to the center of the motar board. Then using my sugargun with the disk with lots of holes, I make the tassle and attach that going around the button. HTH

ETA - Sweettooth88, the mortar board is the flat piece on top of the cap.

Quote by @%username% on %date%