Ouch, That Hurts....my Ego!

Decorating By mireillea Updated 17 Apr 2010 , 4:10pm by Ruth0209

mireillea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mireillea Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 6:20pm
post #1 of 123

I have always wanted to make a wedding cake for family or friends, but well, my family is small and everyone I know is already married.

Until... my mother mentioned last week that one of my cousins is getting married again in the fall. That brought an instant smile to my face! Although I don't know her that well (that is an understatement, the last time I saw her is over a decade ago, she lives 200 km south), I always believed her to be very kind.

I sent her an e-mail that same day, telling her that the wedding cake was my present to her, that I would personally bring it to a location of her choice and that she could choose whatever design and flavor she wished. God, I really felt like making that cake!

I received her reply this morning...
She and her future husband 'appreciated' the offer, but after looking at the cakes on my website, they decided to decline my offer because they prefer a professional looking wedding cake icon_eek.gificon_confused.gif

Talking about a knocked down ego... icon_cry.gif

122 replies
ngfcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngfcake Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 6:28pm
post #2 of 123

Your cakes are beautiful!!! You are very talented and I think she was very rude!
Forget her and move on!! thumbs_up.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 6:31pm
post #3 of 123

are you serious??????/

I can't imagine a cake looking any more professional than the ones you've got posted here! You have amazing talent with cakes.

You know what??......just sit back and relax, once they get that "PROFESSIONAL" price tag......they'll be crawling back!

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 6:31pm
post #4 of 123

She is crazy! Your cakes are beautiful! Her loss!

llbesq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llbesq Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 6:33pm
post #5 of 123

Your cakes are beautiful and professional!

overindulged Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
overindulged Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 6:33pm
post #6 of 123

your site looks professional as your cakes. Lame-O excuse. I'd shrug it off... your cakes are awesome. thumbs_up.gif

makenice99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makenice99 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 6:34pm
post #7 of 123

Are they kidding your cakes are beautiful!! I agree just rude.

blueeyes6077 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blueeyes6077 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 6:35pm
post #8 of 123

Wow!! Your cakes are beautiful, their loss!!

iluvjay829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvjay829 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 6:44pm
post #9 of 123

They're going to be hardpressed to find something more professional thank your cakes. They are beautiful! Their loss! Please don't agree to do it once they come crawling back to you after getting those "professional" prices icon_biggrin.gif

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 6:46pm
post #10 of 123

Wow! That is tactless! Why wouldn't they just say something like "they have their heart set on ordering from a local bakery that they love," or that "they've already made arrangements," or any number of excuses that would avoid telling you that they think you suck....which you don't. Weird. Rude. Tactless.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 6:48pm
post #11 of 123

ok, I just looked at your website and it's more professional looking than MOST sites I've seen (honestly). I can't read a lick of it......but it's gorgeous! lol

You have got to get pics of her wedding cake and update us!!!! I have a feeling she's going to be a bridezilla and wind up with a terrible cake after putting her baker through a living torment for 9 months leading up to the wedding!!!

LadyKinster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyKinster Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 6:50pm
post #12 of 123

I agree, sit back and relax and then decline when they come back for the free cake.
Your cakes are professional and absolutely beautiful.
What the heck were they looking at????

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 6:51pm
post #13 of 123

You're cakes look professional and beautiful! Oh well their loss of not getting a free cake as a gift instead of paying for it. Don't let them get you down. icon_smile.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 6:51pm
post #14 of 123

lolllll - Sorry for laughing but the first thing i thought of was ..
I bet the Furter MIL is making the cake. icon_wink.gif - or at least someone on the grooms side of the family.

To say what they did is just uttter rubbish and rude - your cakes are beautiful.

There loss - thats for sure.

Bluehue.

ShellBell69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShellBell69 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 6:52pm
post #15 of 123

What is she on?! Your cakes are GORGEOUS!!! I would give my eye-teeth to have one that beautiful! Your site is very professional (as are all the cakes I have seen you make). Don't you dare do her cake for her when she comes crawling back to you.

mireillea Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 6:55pm
post #16 of 123

O, you guys are so great! Thanks, I needed that.
You know, you don't have to like my STYLE, but I have been baking for many years and sell about 40 to 50 wedding cakes a year. At least I thought they were PROFESSIONAL!
Yes, I am dying to know what their final cake is going to look like!

Goonergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goonergirl Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 6:56pm
post #17 of 123

They COULDN'T have been looking at your website. Because I saw a VERY professional website with beautifully designed and executed cakes. There HAS to be some other story behind her declining your offer. HAS to be.

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 6:57pm
post #18 of 123

icon_confused.gif
Remeber when she calls you back to make the cake since it will be too expensive otherwise that you are now booked for that date.
That is just rude, and she doesn't deserve one of your beautiful cakes!

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 6:58pm
post #19 of 123

What?!!! did they look at the right page???? your cakes are professional enough hellooooo.

Watch, she'll end up with a crappy cake and then you can roll on the floor and laugh, hi, hi icon_wink.gif

RobynLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobynLM Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 7:02pm
post #20 of 123

Wow, that is just unreal! It's one thing to politely decline, but to say that your cakes aren't "professional" is just wrong (and rude). Like others before me, I have checked out your site and your cakes are GORGEOUS! Always remember that everyone has their own opinion and as long as you and your clients are happy with your work, that is all that matters! And I agree, if she comes back looking for it later on, tell her you are booked.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 7:05pm
post #21 of 123

Ok I have to admit I thought, maybe people on here are just being nice because the cakes had to be a little off if someone passed up a FREE wedding cake..then I looked at your website...OH MY GOD!! You are wonderfully talented, your work is beautiful and clean and they are CRAZY. I really really hope that when they come back to you wanting that free cake that you tell them you are booked or better yet tell them since you don't think their wedding choices are classy enough you're going with a different bride..PLEASE...really!! your work is great..they're truly nuts. Crazy crazy people!

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 7:06pm
post #22 of 123

wow.... I just took a look (I imagined they were gonna be very amateurish looking...) boy was I wrong......

What is she talking about?!?!?! your cakes as as preoffesional and beautiful as they come.... maybe she is one of those close minded people that even when looking at your work... they just need someone ELSE!

Don't let it hurt ur ego... ur ego is where is shuld be... ur cakes are amazing and don't bother with the comment she made...

BTW: If I was getting married.... I'd be HONORED if u made MY wedding cake!

Great work! too bad she doesn't realize it... but she will... and when she does... i hope you tell her NO... I can't do it!

icon_smile.gif

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 7:12pm
post #23 of 123

I just looked at your website, and your cakes are beyond gorgeous!!! Those wedding cakes are breathtaking -- literally, I gasped a few times as the photos changed. All I can say is, families can be crazy and rude, and you're lucky you haven't seen her in a decade. icon_wink.gif

mireillea Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 7:17pm
post #24 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

and you're lucky you haven't seen her in a decade. icon_wink.gif

I got to be honest, that was the first thing I thought this morning after reading her e-mail icon_lol.gif

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 7:18pm
post #25 of 123

Your site is amazing- luckily I could figure out how to get to the photos without translating! Amazing work- she's crazy!

tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 7:18pm
post #26 of 123

It's their loss, your cakes are beautiful!!!!

sasje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sasje Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 7:19pm
post #27 of 123

I can imagine that your ego is hurt, stupid reaction and very rude.I hope that they included new contactlenses or glasses on their weddinglist, they sure need some!!
Ik kon het niet geloven toen ik je foto´s bekeek, ik hoop ooit zo goed te worden maar ben er nog lang niet.(I looked at your pics could not believe there reaction, i hope to be as good as you, some day.)

groetjes, saskia

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 7:23pm
post #28 of 123

icon_confused.gif How strange! I don't understand that at all.

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 7:26pm
post #29 of 123

icon_eek.gif Holy cow, if you offered to do my wedding cake I would be all over happy! Seriously, either they have Nicholas Lodge lined up to do their cake or they went to the wrong website. I can't imagine that excuse being used as a reason to decline.

I won't assume that the cake they end up getting will be crappy or they have bad taste, but I do think you have dodged a bullet. Now you don't have to deal with the stress a wedding cake for family can bring. thumbs_up.gif

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 7:29pm
post #30 of 123

Your cakes are beautiful....she's just silly. I would make sure I was at the wedding so I could see what she considers a "professional looking" cake.... you MUST post pics! LOL
I guarantee it won't be prettier than yours!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%