Can You Help Me With Deco. Ideas For Apple Sugar Cookies?

Baking By staceycake Updated 15 Apr 2010 , 8:59am by iwantcookies

staceycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceycake Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 6:20am
post #1 of 14

Next month is "Teacher Appreciation Day" and I'd like to decorate apple-shaped cookies for all of my co-workers. (See picture below.)

I was originally just going to keep things easy and simply flood the cookies with red icing, but now I'm thinking that I should be more creative. Unfortunately I'm having a hard time thinking outside of the box. Perhaps since the cutter is so large I should layer it with a smaller cookie (decorated as a book? report card? or ???) on top?

Can you think of any other color combos or designs that would
be fun for my apple cookies?

Thanks for your help!!
LL

13 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 7:07am
post #2 of 14

i am so annoyed, i cant find the blog im sure i used to have saved... someone who was religious as well, her son was a missionary or something, blue pages, if it rings a bell for anyone?

anyway, she did awesome cut out cookies. if you could find a smaller apple (or a heart?), cut it out the center (ish) of that cookie, decorate both, then stick the little one onto the outside of the apple. i cant find any examples on google for you either im afraid!

or a worm! some ideas off cc for you http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&meta=search&type=full&search=apple+cookies&album=-&search_user=
xx

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 12:37pm
post #3 of 14

You could use a little scalloped cutter and take a "bite" out of some of them.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 12:57pm
post #4 of 14

or write something "teacherly" in them since they are so bog... "A+ teacher" or something....

or, you could make a little hole and have a worm coming out - I did some like that to put on top of cupcakes a while back (I think they're in my photos) using a gummy worm. The teachers at my school really loved that....

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 1:43pm
post #5 of 14

I did a worm and it was a hit. You can also do a brown stem and a leaf or two. If you do not want to do the worm, you can just pipe "Thanks!" in the center of the apple. I am sure that whatever you do will be really cute!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 2:06pm
post #6 of 14

if you think they're too big, you could also do some small square/rectangle cookies and make "chalkboards" and write "Thanks" on them?/

I love the idea of a bite being taken out too, and the worm!

JawdroppingCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JawdroppingCakes Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 2:24pm
post #7 of 14

I love the idea of the bite on the side of the cookie. Maybe you can also leave the cookie that size, take a bit out of the side, cover the cookie in black fondant( to look like a chalk board) and for the stem you can make a pencil top with the worm sticking out of the side. Then you can write on the "chalk board" thank you and you can write something like 2+2 =4 or something like that.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 9:44pm
post #8 of 14

For something a bit different, I've seen apple cookies that are decorated as though the apple had been sliced. Red or green border, creamy inside, a few seeds. Very cute, very different, and not too labor intensive. Whatever you decide to do, I'm sure it will be greatly appreciated!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 9:56pm
post #9 of 14

When my daughter's class was studying apples, she and I made apple sugar cookies with fondant. We had some colored like granny smith, some red, and then some that were the red and green marbled together, which looked awesome and was really easy to do. We added a brown stem and green leaf to each of them.

staceycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceycake Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 5:44am
post #10 of 14

Wow!! I knew I came to the right place with this question. Thank you all for your wonderful ideas. I'm glad that I have a few weeks to try out some of your design ideas. I like the idea of taking a "bite" out of the apple, and the worms sound cute too (wait a minute, did I just put "worms" and "cute" in the same sentence?!!). I hadn't thought about using fondant to create the chalkboard look either. I definitely have some experimenting (and practicing) to do.

Thank you all so much for sharing your wonderful ideas with me!

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 6:16am
post #11 of 14

thsi question at the perfect time!! im making some for my farmers market on sat. and i couldnt figure out how to do it!!!

iwantcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iwantcookies Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 6:43am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Quote:

i am so annoyed, i cant find the blog im sure i used to have saved... someone who was religious as well, her son was a missionary or something, blue pages, if it rings a bell for anyone?

anyway, she did awesome cut out cookies.

Do you mean this blog? Her cookies are awesome!

http://cookiecrazie.blogspot.com/

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 8:05am
post #13 of 14

iwantcookies you are my hero! thank you icon_smile.gif
xx

iwantcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iwantcookies Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 8:59am
post #14 of 14

lol! glad to have helped, brincess_b!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%