Newbie Here!

Decorating By Alexrn Updated 13 Apr 2010 , 6:12pm by cvigil

Alexrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alexrn Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 3:45am
post #1 of 9

I am planning my daughters first birthday party and after googling tons of ideas for cakes (it will be a carnival theme, LOVE the ideas here!) and the thought of how much I will be paying for it, I am taking on the task of making it myself. Probably pretty simple, but will be my first time working with fondant.

There are so many threads, stickys, tutorials, photos, ideas, etc that it can be overwhelming! Any tips for a total newbie, I have a couple of cake pans, a rolling pin, and some wilton dyes. I feel so lost :/

8 replies
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 3:59am
post #2 of 9

There are some great videos on youtube. I learn by watching better than reading instructions.....so if you are like me.......you'll learn a lot from those videos!
Good Luck with your cake......post pics so we can see!

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 5:11am
post #3 of 9

My only hint is DO NOT buy Wilton brand fondant it tastes like CRAP!!!!!!!

hahahahahah

I am sure your daughter will love it no matter how it turns out....

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 5:27am
post #4 of 9

If it's your first time with fondant I suggest you purchase the fondant. Wilton is just plain sweet tasting but you can add flavourings and make it more palatable.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 5:28am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialtyCakesbyKelli

There are some great videos on youtube. I learn by watching better than reading instructions.....so if you are like me.......you'll learn a lot from those videos!
Good Luck with your cake......post pics so we can see!

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 5:29am
post #6 of 9

Ditto on the Wilton fondant

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 5:58am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballymena

If it's your first time with fondant I suggest you purchase the fondant. Wilton is just plain sweet tasting but you can add flavourings and make it more palatable.

When I first started with fondant I tried everything to change the flavor of Wilton fondant. Nothing worked. It has a very Chemical taste to me, Almost bitter. Now I just make MMF.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 11:51am
post #8 of 9

In my opinion... I wouldn't try making mmf and using it for your first attempt at fondant. I tried it when I first started and it was a disaster. Wilton fondant isn't the best tasting, but it is very forgiving for someone new. If you have time, order some satin ice... it's not as easy to work with as Wilton...but it taste much better icon_smile.gif

cvigil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cvigil Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 6:12pm
post #9 of 9

I use Michele Foster's. It is easy to work with and tastes good. The recipe is on this site.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%