Skinner Method Anyone?

Decorating By mommyto4 Updated 13 Apr 2010 , 3:43am by kricket

mommyto4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyto4 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 3:27am
post #1 of 3

Anyone ever try the skinner method (polymer clay technique) with fondant or gumpaste? I'm doing a cake with flames on it and so I tried this with fondant (with a little tylose added). It was a little soft and blended much quicker than polymer clay. It usually takes 20+ times through the pasta machine with the polymer clay and about 1/2 of that with the fondant. Just wondering if anyone's tried it and what your experience was...especially if you've done it with gumpaste. The fondant seemed to distort a little more than I would have liked and I think gumpaste may not have been as bad. TIA!

2 replies
tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 3:41am
post #2 of 3

Cool idea! I've never tried that polymer clay technique on fondant. I love working with polymer clay. Some of the same principles work with both mediums.

kricket Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kricket Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 3:43am
post #3 of 3

After doing a search on "skinner method polymer" (since I didn't know what that was), I recognized it as the same demonstration I saw at the Satin Ice booth at last summer's Cake Camp in Las Vegas. I don't remember how many passes through the roller it took, but it was amazing and beautiful to watch. I love how 'cake' and 'craft' come together in so many ways.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%