How You Got Started

Business By nowotny Updated 21 Apr 2010 , 10:20pm by metria

nowotny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nowotny Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 9:02pm
post #1 of 15

I am sure there are alot of people lurking around in the cake decorating business forum dreaming of having there own storefront and cursing the health department and their no-home-based-cake-business-regulations. Me being one of them. So the question is how did you get started? How did you make that big leap into leasing a building or adding on to your home or whatever you did that made you legit? I would LOVE to be able to jump into a lease, buy some equipment, and start advertising but for most people that is an impossible dream. So how did you do it????

14 replies
Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 11:31pm
post #2 of 15

I am using a commercial kitchen right now, no store front. I am building my client business that way. Slowly it is going but it allows me to keep my regular job and build on the side. I'm not turning a profit just yet but I am seeing it turn around.

nowotny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nowotny Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 11:29am
post #3 of 15

How did you go about finding a commercial kitchen that you could use? I am not familiar with that. Do you mean just like a restaurant that let's you come in a use their kitchen when they are not open or what? My cousin is some fancy smancy food or event cooridinator or something like that for a local university. I wonder if I could use the university's kitchen.

Carla9900 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carla9900 Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 4:42pm
post #4 of 15

What do you mean no-home-base-cake-business??? I'm not aware of this, and I have thought about getting my own business. Thanks.

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 5:02pm
post #5 of 15

Check with your health dept if you may sell cakes from home. laws vary according to county.

Carla9900 Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 6:25pm
post #6 of 15

Great thanks just_for_fun. I appreciate it.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 6:43pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla9900

What do you mean no-home-base-cake-business??? I'm not aware of this, and I have thought about getting my own business. Thanks.

A lot of states don't allow home based food businesses. Although from what I have seen on here Ohio happens to be one that does (but there are some restrictions, like no selling over state lines)

Definitely check with your local health department to find out what the rules are. Here in Iowa home businesses are allowed by the state regulations, but some cities/counties don't allow it, or have more strict regulations (no customer pick-up is one in my area)

Carla9900 Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 6:50pm
post #8 of 15

Wow I didn't realize they would have such strict regulations....imagine that!!

Thanks!

Carla9900 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 1:46am
post #9 of 15

I spoke with my Dept of Ag today. And I can't have a home-based business without a license if I don't have anything that needs refridgerated, otherwise I just need a home bakery license which is only $10 per year. And Dept of Ag needs to inspect my kitchen. And I don't have to have a separate kitchen. I'm only supposed to use a single oven kitchen. Whew that's all a relief...I know I can handle this.

Thanks everyone!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 3:33am
post #10 of 15

Carla- check out the cottage laws on the Dept. of Ag's website. You don't even have to pay the $10 fee if you go cottage. However, there are labeling requirements with the cottage law. Other than that, as long as you don't have furry animals in the house or carpet in the kitchen, you're good to go!

Carla9900 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 1:00pm
post #11 of 15

Thanks cheatize. I did look at their website. I printed it off actually. Yes I saw that I didn't even need to have license for cottage. Thanks for the heads up. I appreciate it.

sarah5008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarah5008 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 4:37pm
post #12 of 15

AH! How did the topic change! LOL I have the same questions as the OP because I'm in the same situation. I keep hearing about commercial kitchens, but am not sure how to go about finding one either, or heck, even what it means.

I'm waiting to hear back from my Ag dept as to a home based buisness and may be in the situation where a commercial kitchen is what I have to do.

shalini1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shalini1 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 5:30pm
post #13 of 15

as far as commercial kitchens go, you can check with your local church, or maybe a catering business that's willing to rent out their space (normally on an hourly basis) to you. Just make sure you also get liability insurance so that in case something happens, you have ample coverage. HTH.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 9:56pm
post #14 of 15

You can also do a search for incubator kitchens and see if there's one near enough to you to be workable.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 10:20pm
post #15 of 15

I'm also interested in the OP, but also curious, do most people go straight in to their own business? are there not many pre-existing cakeries that would hire? in the future i'd love to do cakes for income, but really can't see myself running my own business ... is there hope??? surely some of you started under the wing of someone else.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%