How Do I...do Everything!!!

Decorating By jerseygirlNga Updated 13 Apr 2010 , 5:00pm by cakecraft

jerseygirlNga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jerseygirlNga Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 8:46pm
post #1 of 13

I am so stuck and I need input from those in the know. So far, I've done scratch cakes, fondant covered rounds. But this is a new one and I really don't know where to turn.

First, it was requested to make a French Vanilla Cake...I'm on the search for a recipe.

White Chocolate Mousse filling: I've never done mousse, so will it hold up under the fondant?

Do I need to make a separate buttercream to use for the crumb coat/dirty ice?

THey asked for a "Baby Bump" cake for a shower. I went to a local store for a sphere pan and wanted $31 for the larger and $11 for the small. I have never carved and have no confidence in my ability where that is concerned.

Other than that...I'm good to go!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

OH, please help!!! Thanks in advance!

12 replies
mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 9:00pm
post #2 of 13

I will give it a go on some of the info needed...
French Vanilla cake - I always do WASC with the BC French Vanilla.
White Chocolate Mousse - can't help you with that. It requires refrigeration and I try to stay away from that.
You will need buttercream (or ganache) for the crumb coat.
Alot of people use a glass bowl for the round part of the baby bump cakes rather than carving.
HTH!

maladymay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maladymay Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 9:03pm
post #3 of 13

For the cake, how about a doctored mix? I know those come in French Vanilla. And for the "bump", I've baked in an ovensafe bowl before (actually for a boob cake, but still...) with no problems. I just greased and floured it really well. Good luck!

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 9:05pm
post #4 of 13

Hi I will try and help you.

WASC recipe on here allows you to add flavors and you can use French Vanilla creamer for water replacement for flavor. It's great recipe I use it all the time.

For White chocolate mousse filling I have never made mousse but I have taken my BC and added melted white chocolate and it is delicious!

Seperate buttercream? meaning? I use same buttercream for crumb coating and the depending on fondant or a final coat of buttercream. If it's buttercream cake, I use just a slightly thicker second coat.

As for the baby bump cake. I have made two of them in my proflie. One is the Ball pan from wilton and the other is Mini ball cake pan. Here is a Hobby Lobby coupon for this week and you can get these pans pretty cheap. http://www.hobbylobby.com/assets/dynamic/_weekly.coupon/2010_16_coupon.gif

HTH's
Chippi

jerseygirlNga Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 4:01pm
post #5 of 13

Thank you all.

I found the WASC and actually have it oven as I checked the computer...go figure!!!

I haven't had much luck with real buttercream, not sure if my thermometer is off...but I brought the sugar to temperature and mixed in my KA. It looked like it curdled. I read, don't throw it out, just rewhip. Did that...became soupy. Needless to say, threw it out!!! It did taste great though.

I'm am looking through some threads now to see if I can doctor the one I have been using to give it a mousse like consistency.

What I meant by the separate buttercream to crumb coat was if I made a mousse...didn't think that would coat. Since I have a cake this weekend, I will save some of the crumb coat I use.

Im testing my Pyrex bowls to see proportion. I've looked at a few bump cakes on here where the boobs and belly sometimes look outta proportion...kinda like Pamela Anderson boobs on Mario Batali belly (pre-diet of course) Chippi...I haven't looked at yours yet, but I may be off to Hobby Lobby in the next hour!!! THX

jhay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhay Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 4:19pm
post #6 of 13

I've used the wilton ball pan for several of those kinds of rounded cakes...they're pretty cheap w/ a Michaels coupon.

The bowl would be a better idea for the belly.

What kind of buttercream did you make? SMBC will look curdled at the beginning of the beating process, but you have to let it go longer...it will come together, but it takes 8-10 mintues of beating sometimes.

jerseygirlNga Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 4:24pm
post #7 of 13

What kind of buttercream did you make? SMBC will look curdled at the beginning of the beating process, but you have to let it go longer...it will come together, but it takes 8-10 mintues of beating sometimes.

NOT SURE...It was in a book. Fairly simple except for the sugar. Said my bowl should be lukewarm after incorporating all the butter. It wasn't. I think I had the mixer going for about 7-10 minutes.

Just took bowl out of oven...cake is done on the sides but the center isn't. Going to try one more time with a nail in the bottom of the bowl. Then, it will be off to Hobby Lobby.

NicoleLovins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NicoleLovins Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 4:25pm
post #8 of 13

maladymay.....What kind of oven safe bowl do you have?

cakecraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraft Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 4:36pm
post #9 of 13

I use the WASC with a french vanilla cake mix and french vanilla coffee creamer.

For the mousse filling, I discovered a recipe on here that I have been using many variations of lately. It is a box of instant pudding, 1 cup of whipping cream and one cup of milk. Just whip until stiff. You could do white chocolate instant pudding for the flavour you are looking for. YUM! It does need to be in the fridge though.

I always use a glass pyrex bowl for cakes I need that domed shape for (think belly or barbie dress) Works fine.

HTH

maladymay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maladymay Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 4:39pm
post #10 of 13

It's not actually a Pyrex bowl, its just some white bowl I got at Wal Mart a while back. It's this one:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Canopy-Porcelain-Serving-mixing-Bowl/10339928
but it's a 6" bowl, not a 9" one. I'll try and post the cake that it made.
LL

jerseygirlNga Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 4:51pm
post #11 of 13

Cakecraft... I hope you will reply back

I found the mousse filling yesterday but thought it wouldn't be thick enough to stay where it is intended with the weight of the fondant. I was actually thinking about biting the bullet and use the Swiss Made Fondant (Massa Americana). It tastes great and you can roll much thinner than Fondx or SatinIce and get better finish.

cakecraft Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 4:57pm
post #12 of 13

I have upped the whipping cream to 1 and a 1/2 cups ( and 1/2 cup of milk) and it is very thick. I think some folks even use 2 full cups of whipping cream. This is my new fave thing, and I have used it as a filling in stacked fondant covered cakes with no problems. I always use indydebi's buttercream to create a dam and crumbcoat with under my fondant. Best of luck!

cakecraft Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 5:00pm
post #13 of 13

I am at work now but I have pics at home of the inside of a tester (torted) coconut cream cake I made with this mousse...you can see the nice layers when it is cut, no filling displaced or anything icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%