Fool Proof Recipe For A Newbie?

Baking By newb2 Updated 13 Apr 2010 , 8:13pm by EvMarie

newb2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newb2 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 6:52pm
post #1 of 11

I am NOT a professional but have been asked to make cupcakes for a baby shower this weekend. I don't have time to test different recipes so I was hoping you could help me with a fool-proof recipe. I'm planning on filling the cupcakes with either the "cupcake filling" or strawberry-n-cream mousse from this site. thanks for any help or advice.

10 replies
lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 7:09pm
post #2 of 11

I love the WASC recipe (White Almond Sour Cream).

There is also a list of WASC variations and some fillings...I have tried many of them and they are all fantastic!

Here is the link to the variations:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4f9hbq_46cs9f28fs

Hope this helps!

kileyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kileyscakes Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 7:14pm
post #3 of 11

I agree wasc cupcakes I just made 240 for this last weekend and they bake great I used betty crocker mix with it I only bake mine for 15 minutes at 350 you can see how nice they look, everyone loves the flavor and they would be great with that strawberry filling!!
LL

RobynLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobynLM Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 7:19pm
post #4 of 11

Yup, definitely the WASC recipe! It's very easy and gets rave reviews all the time!

newb2 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 7:25pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks for the suggestion.....2 more newb questions. How many cupcakes does a recipe make and how long should I bake the cupcakes?

kileyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kileyscakes Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 4:09am
post #6 of 11

When I use the full recipe with 2 boxes I get 70-75 cupcakes and so half would be about 35. I use a 3 tablespoon ice cream scoop to fill my liners and then I baked mine for only 15 minutes at 350. right when the tops look dry is when I check them and if there is just a little crumb then they are done.

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 4:22am
post #7 of 11

I have never tried the WASC recipes but everyone here raves about it. I am a cookie lady really, so I only have a couple recipes I use consistantly. My favorites are:

I love the Hershey Cake recipe for chocolate. It calls for a cup of boiling water at the end of the mixing. I usually put a bit of instant decaf coffee granules to bring out the chocolate.

Also, it won't go with you're strawberry mousse, but there's a cherry cake recipe on here. It starts with a white cake & you add marachino cherries and Lorann candy oil. It is absolutely fabulous. It's whats called an "extender" recipe I think. You add a bit of flour and sugar to it to make more servings. If you're interested I could try to find it for you.

Good Luck & don't forget to have fun!

newb2 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 7:36pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks so much for all the info......can someone help me with time line?? I need the for a shower/brunch Sunday morning, I do plan on filling them and doing a swirl top with a "decoration" made from candy melts on top. I'm assuming I can start making my candy mold decorations today and they should be okay (should they be refrigerated or just kept in a cool place? When should I bake the cupcakes and do the filling? Thanks again for all the tips.

Lynn929 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynn929 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 7:52pm
post #9 of 11

How are the cupcakes filled? I have never done this before.

newb2 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 7:57pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn929

How are the cupcakes filled? I have never done this before.

I'm going to use the apple corer "method".....it'll be my first time though so wish me luck! icon_biggrin.gif

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 8:13pm
post #11 of 11

As far as the "topper" candies....

I heard a couple stories about how somebody placed their candies on top of the cupcake frosting ahead of time. Only to find the color bled onto the icing some how. I'm not sure of the particulars with that. However, I've done cupcakes twice now & always waited to put the decoration on last.

Just a little "preventative" tid bit. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%