How Do I Make A Light Saber Appear Shiny?

Decorating By Mickeebabe Updated 4 Nov 2010 , 7:31pm by KrissieCakes

Mickeebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickeebabe Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 6:41pm
post #1 of 18

I'm making a Star Wars Lego cake this weekend and I want to know how to make a light saber looking shiney like the picture? I'm not sure I'f I'm going to do it in fondant or buttercream.

Thanks so much for any input.
LL

17 replies
vlk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vlk Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 7:58pm
post #2 of 18

The only thing I can think of is to get those "glow sticks" that you break and they shine for long periods of time... thats probably what I would use

HTH ~

Vicki

Mickeebabe Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 9:14pm
post #3 of 18

I think a glow stick would be way too big. The image won't be that big on the cake.

I know I can't make it "glow" on the cake but I was hoping someone knew how to make it shiney and make it stick out from the rest of the cake. I will be using buttercream for the design.

Thanks. icon_smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by KammKakes

The only thing I can think of is to get those "glow sticks" that you break and they shine for long periods of time... thats probably what I would use

HTH ~

Vicki

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 8:02am
post #4 of 18

If it were me, I would probably make it out of super bright yellow fondant, and then paint it with SuperPearl dust.

OK wait, Luke's light saber isn't yellow...so maybe you'd just stick with white, but I'm thinking if it were in a "light saber" color (a vibrant green would work too, maybe?) and then painted with dust, it would be the closet to hinting at "glowing" that I could think of.

It doesn't have to be fondant of course if you are sticking with buttercream - you can do this with bc as long as your bc crusts.

Himee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Himee Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 8:41am
post #5 of 18

Ok so I guess im way too big of a star wars fan but Lukes lightsaber is green but I would go with lime green and do luster dust or even that new disco dust would be kinda cool. IDK but hope it turns out cool. icon_lol.gif

jessyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessyg Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 1:28pm
post #6 of 18

Hello not sure how big you need it to be but expanding on the glowstick idea,party stores carry glow in the dark mouthpieces. Inside the mouth piece goes a 1.5inch long mini glowstick here

http://glowproducts.com/glowsticks/mini/is a link to them. I am doing a lego starwars cake and i will be using these. Hope this helps.

jessyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessyg Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 1:34pm
post #7 of 18

Hello not sure how big you need it to be but expanding on the glowstick idea,party stores carry glow in the dark mouthpieces. Inside the mouth piece goes a 1.5inch long mini glowstick here

http://glowproducts.com/glowsticks/mini/is a link to them. I am doing a lego starwars cake and i will be using these. Hope this helps.

vlk Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 8:12pm
post #8 of 18

Jessyg... Exactly what I was thinking! Thanks ~ Hope it works for you

Mickeebabe Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 11:55pm
post #9 of 18

Those are great and would be perfect. I wonder if they sell them here locally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessyg

Mickeebabe Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 11:58pm
post #10 of 18

I think I'm gonna do this guy here. Who's this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himee

Ok so I guess im way too big of a star wars fan but Lukes lightsaber is green but I would go with lime green and do luster dust or even that new disco dust would be kinda cool. IDK but hope it turns out cool. icon_lol.gif

LL

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 12:06am
post #11 of 18

Here's a thread that will help you make buttercream that glows in the dark! icon_eek.gif http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=6726611#6726611

vlk Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 12:10am
post #12 of 18

Okay.. I enlisted the help of my 7 yr old.. and he says that ~ that figure is the younger version of Obe One Kanobe? (bad spelling) huh? he says that Luke has light hair and Obe has dark hair.... LOL....
Thanks Brad ! icon_smile.gif

HTH

Vicki

Himee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Himee Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 4:00am
post #13 of 18

Idk bc ode won kannobe has a gotee I think thats young luke?

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 4:09am
post #14 of 18

No I'm pretty sure it's Obi-Wan. You could use piping gel over bright green or blue, depending on whichever you go with. It wouldn't glow but it'd be shiny at least.

PennieK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennieK Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 5:43am
post #15 of 18

I just looked up the figure in my son's Lego Starwars Dictionary and he is Obi-Wan Kenobi (Padawan) from Episode 1

practiceandpatience Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
practiceandpatience Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 2:12am
post #16 of 18

When I made this lego star wars cake, I tinted some piping gel and brushed it over the fondant saber, doesn't make it "glow" but shines more like a neon light

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1237936.html

SimonsComics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimonsComics Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 7:17pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessyg

Yes also, you might want to try http://coolglow.com/ for the mini glow sticks, very good rates.

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 7:31pm
post #18 of 18

I've made a few Star Wars cakes now - my son is a freak for Star Wars. If you want to keep it all edible, the luster dust works great. I really like how sparkly the disco dust is, but it's a bit chunky, so for a light saber I would go with Super Pearl luster dust!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%