Textured Cakes - Help!

Decorating By ARay Updated 12 Apr 2010 , 3:38pm by Kitagrl

ARay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ARay Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 2:39pm
post #1 of 5

So I know I've seen a way to texture a cake and I think it's in the Wilton Decorating Cakes book somewhere OR the Course 1 book...

Anyway, it's the textured type look that kinda looks rustic or "messy".

What in the world is this technique called??

I am looking for some pictures/ideas of it but I don't know the name of the technique so I don't know where to look icon_smile.gif


4 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 2:44pm
post #2 of 5

I just did a wedding cake like that 2 weeks ago. Man was that a FAST cake to decorate!! Truly, 20 minutes for 4 tiers. I plan on showcasing it at a wedding show to talk more brides into it!!

I referred to it a "homestyle" but not so the bride could hear. I don't know that it's got a name, so lets name it!

How about Casa Chateau - home in Spanish and French. hahahaha

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 3:17pm
post #3 of 5

lol leah

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 3:29pm
post #4 of 5

I've seen it termed as 'roughly ice' the cake. I can not do it myself. I've gotten so use to smoothing thing out as I put on the icing that I really have trouble with making it not smooth.

I don't have the Wilton Course books on me, but there may be one in the Course 1 book. I'm thinking the grape cake at the back of the book. I also think there is one with pansies on it in the Course 2 book.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 3:38pm
post #5 of 5

I call it "homestyle" too...I LOVE homestyle cakes, to do them AND I like the look of them too!

I guess it stems from when I was little wanting my cakes to look like the front of the Duncan Hines box. haha.

I always do tasting cakes like that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%