Cupcakes For A Wedding ...

Decorating By Beth51 Updated 14 Apr 2010 , 12:07am by Beth51

Beth51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beth51 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 1:56pm
post #1 of 5

Hi Guys,

My cake making is coming along great & I'm learning more each day. I've been asked to do some cupcakes for my son's girlfriends 18th party this Saturday and I'm looking forward to doing that .. the colour scheme is pink, pink, pink!!! lol!

My eldest son gets married in 4 weeks time however, and has asked me if I would do two stands of cupcakes for his buffet table. I'm really honoured that he's asked me but I need help on two things. Firstly how soon to the wedding do I need to make the cakes (ie: how long will they last?) Obviously I want to do them as close as poss to the date as I want them as fresh as poss but as I will be having family staying over also, things will be a little bit mad! lol!

Secondly, the colour scheme is Champagne/Ivory .... how will I go about matching the cakes to these colours? Can you get champagne colouring? Would you do champagne and white? Any suggestions would be very much welcome! I don't want to let my son down on his wedding day!

Thanks for listening and thanks in advance for any help!

Love, Beth xxx

4 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 2:09pm
post #2 of 5

is he having a main cake? if so, you need to check with who ever is providing that, and the buffet, that he can have outside cake/ food.

champagne and ivory can be any shade, you really need to get a sample to try and match it. but yes, you can buy ivory and champagne colourings. although, depending ont he shade, you can use brown or yellow, or, if you use real vanilla, it might match anyway.

another important question - roll out fondant, pouring fondant, or bc?

as for how far in advance... i dont know. id say a couple of days, stored properly. and they take a lot of room to store!
xx

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 2:12pm
post #3 of 5

You didn't say how many you needed, or if this were the only desert or wedding cake, but if it were me, I would get crackin' and bake and freeze..... AmericaColor has a beautiful Ivory shade that I have used several times......... are you using more than one color, and how about the cupcake papers..... are those white ?

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 2:24pm
post #4 of 5

Cupcakes will dry out if not stored properly.

Here's a cupcake display that I did for a wedding. The stand I used was the Wilton Tall tiers. There are three of them in this picture. I provided the center one, but the bride rented the other two from a party rental place. Florist covered in greenery.
LL

Beth51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beth51 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 12:07am
post #5 of 5

Hi Princess B, Grama & Jammjenks and thank you for your helpful replies. My son is having a professionally made wedding cake - I prefer this as I am still very new to baking & decorating cakes & would feel too much pressure to be making "the" wedding cake! lol!

I am making three lots of cupcakes on three stands (each stand takes 21 cakes). I bought the stands in Costco for only £10 each & they look really effective! The three stands will go on the buffet table for the evening party (it is a sit down meal in the daytime) I went to the catering store today to have a look at colours and there isn't a great deal of ivory or champagne but you're right Princess B - I could use a touch of brown or yellow..... probably my best option. I'm sure I will find some rainbow dust in an appropriate colour as they do so many but I've never used this before and I don't know how you apply it. Do you brush it on or do you just sprinkle? Or do u think rainbow dust a bit tacky for a wedding?

Jammjenks ur cupcake wedding cake is fantastic! It looks SO effective and very stunning! I bet the happy couple were over the moon with it! You are very talented! How did you decorate the cupcakes? ... I can't get close enough to see in detail on the photo.

I am making 42 cupcakes for the 18th birthday party this week so will try and post a photo, then you will be able to see the stands I am using too. Thank you so much again girls .. your advice is VERY much appreciated!

Love, Beth xxx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%