'going Out In A Blaze Of Glory'...

Decorating By eccl1-12 Updated 19 Apr 2010 , 7:43pm by eccl1-12

eccl1-12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eccl1-12 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 5:15am
post #1 of 7

Ok before I tell this story I think I should assure you that it has to do with a non-edible component of the cake and the only part that is going to touch the cake- if it makes it that far- is still fondant. Now that I have you concerned, I will tell you a little story. Maybe you will get a chuckle. I don't know how it is going to end.

I am making a gift cake for a friends wedding. She is a nurse marrying a Marine. The cake is supposed to have a plaque with crossed swords 'through' it, on the front. I carefully carved the swords out of foam. Soon as I laid the fondant over the piece, the grips broke off the swords.

Plan B: Keep the foam plaque, so that the piece is not too heavy, and make the blades and grips out of gumpaste. Challenging, but so far so good. Today, it was time to attach the blades and grips. I never really thought I would get into an honest to goodness swordfight. Sticking the reinforced pieces into the foam was just hard enough that I was fairly confident they would stay. Then my hubby informs me that the piece of blade on the grip end was beveled the wrong way. He noticed this after they were adhered to the center.

Plan C: Carve and file to fix that. Oops, theres a couple cracks. AAaand a couple more. Try to reinforce. No-worky.

Plan D and where we now stand: Blade of one sword broke in half. Used more candymelt to stick together plus made a 'bandage' out of paper towel and with elmers glue and more candymelt, adhered the bandage to the broken blade. As bad as it sounds, it doesn't look that bad. We will see if I win, but I guarantee I am not going down easy.

I am grateful the bride is easygoing about it and does not mind if the swords don't end up there. I stopped worrying about it and now I am just fighting to see if I can win. At least I have learned a thing or two!

6 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 5:20am
post #2 of 7

It works pretty well to cut out the shape you need from foamcore and cover it with fondant. If you still have time to experiment, you might try it.

eccl1-12 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 5:39am
post #3 of 7

Thats a good idea- half inch foamcore might work. Do you cut it with an exacto knife?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 9:00am
post #4 of 7

I use a box cutter. Fondant sticks to foamcore better than gumpaste does. It's a lot easier to cut the thinner foamcore. I would probably use two thicknesses of the thinner foamcore and then put a wooden skewer between the thicknesses for extra strength, since you're trying to make such a long thin piece.

eccl1-12 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 7:18pm
post #5 of 7

I just want to say Thank you a million times over, texas_rose, because you saved the day. I didn't have time for much experimenting, I had one day for one last hurray. It worked and the cake would not have been the same without it. Thanks again!

Here's a pic of the swords before when I got them done, if I can figure out how to attach it- I am still new at this.
LL

HobbyCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HobbyCaker Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 7:32pm
post #6 of 7

I am not much for posting, but was reading your story and lmao, I loved all your plans!!! You did an amazing job on this plaque. Can't wait to see the final cake. I know it will be awesome

eccl1-12 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 7:43pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks! On the How do I forum, I just posted a pic of the finished cake- it was slouching a bit so I had to ask about a fix. Go figure I can do the detail work but the simple problems baffle me!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%