2 Hour Cake Class...how Much To Charge?

Decorating By Florimbio Updated 12 Apr 2010 , 2:35pm by TexasSugar

Florimbio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Florimbio Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 6:47pm
post #1 of 8

One of my customers wants me to teach 10 women for 2 hours on cake 101...how much should I charge her? I will charge her all of my supplies and expenses...but how much for my time?

7 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 7:39pm
post #2 of 8

I'd say $25 for each woman ($250). If you don't feel comfortable with that - you should at least charge $10 an hour for each woman. So $200.

Just my thoughts. Hope they help.

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 8:38pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

I'd say $25 for each woman ($250). If you don't feel comfortable with that - you should at least charge $10 an hour for each woman. So $200.

Just my thoughts. Hope they help.

That sounds about right.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 8:55pm
post #4 of 8

I do a cake deco class at my local party store. It's "buttercream 101" basic stuff, flowers, borders, tricks on smoothing icing, etc. they have to bring their own supplies (I provide them with a list of what they'll need) and they bring their own fully iced cake as well!

I charge $25/person and nobody has ever felt like that was too much and I live in a small town and charge $20 for a 1/4 sheet cake, to which they baulk at the pricing! lol go figure

Florimbio Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 12:04am
post #5 of 8

Thanks...that helpsicon_smile.gif Now I have some idea...

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 1:11am
post #6 of 8

Will it be demo style or hands on? If hands on what all are you supplying?

Florimbio Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 12:07pm
post #7 of 8

demo and hand on...I want them to try the viva method, and I was going to use merrang BC so they can see the difference...let them pipe some, use different tips, etc....

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 2:35pm
post #8 of 8

Are you supplying the cakes, spatualas, bags, tips and so on? If so, then I'd start by adding all that up then adding instruction pay on top of all of that.

If you are supplying a house full of things and only charge a small amount you aren't making anything off it.

Another thing to keep in mind, 2 hours really isn't alot of time. It shoulds like it, but then again you have to remember it takes you less than 20 mins to ice a cake. When you are working with those that don't know what they are doing you have to figure everything will take twice as long as it does you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%