Bleeding Colors

Decorating By cakecetera Updated 17 Apr 2010 , 7:42pm by chellescountrycakes

cakecetera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecetera Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 4

This is not really a disaster just a problem,but here goes. My colors do not bleed ,but get speckled. so pink has white polka dots and brown did ,too. This does not always happen and I cant figure what makes it occur. I was always told to use non iodized salt for no bleeding and that is what I use. Please help!!!!!!!!!!! This is an awesome web site and I am new! icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 1:10pm
post #2 of 4

Could your speckles be undissolved 10X sugar? Sift before using (after measuring) to break apart any hard areas.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 3:21pm
post #3 of 4

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=675240&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Have you seen the above thread?

The spots, not really fading, are thought to be caused by salt, but I have seen them happen when no salt was used. I believe it is the water myself.

I've never seen it in brown, but pink and blue can have white spots and purple gets blue spots.

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 7:42pm
post #4 of 4

I think its the water, adding it too late or getting too much in.

Today I needed BRIGHT purple. was trying to write the happy birthday (Bane of my existance) My frosting was too thick to write good, wasnt smooth, added a little water - and it RUINED it. its all streaky with pink now. looks like a hot mess.

I am SOOO upset. I cant do anything else. OUt of Powdered sugar, out of karo from trying to make my own piping gel, out of piping gel cause I have refixed the 'water' I am writing on 8 times, So the beautiful cake I just made, with all the fondant fiqures and such is just awful. it was bad enough I had to write on it. But this streaky mess is heartbreaking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%