Best Gumpaste Flower To Begin With?

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 11 Apr 2010 , 3:17pm by honeyscakes

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 1:55pm
post #1 of 10

I'm going to try gumpaste flowers on my own (tutorials, books etc)... What's the best/easiest one to start with?

TIA! icon_smile.gif

9 replies
Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 2:04pm
post #2 of 10

well, Daisys would problies be the very easiest, its just one cutter and nothing else really. but i found carnations very simple to do, and they look so beautiful , i have a pic in my photos of some in a teacup. each one took me less than 5 mins to make!

Phyllis52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phyllis52 Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 2:09pm
post #3 of 10

Cath Cakes -

Your carnations are just beautiful - they look real! Can you tell where I can get the instructions for them? I can't believe they took you 5 minutes to do.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 2:11pm
post #4 of 10

Daisies absolutely. Plus, there is a tutorial on here someplace (I'll see if I can find it) for daffodils. I couldn't believe how easy they were to do. I never had luck doing them in royal, but now I just love making them and taught my MIL how to do them in a couple minutes and she's never done any caking before.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 2:12pm
post #5 of 10

I think calla lilies are super easy.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 2:18pm
post #6 of 10

Certainly Phyllis52 , The link is http://sugarteachers.blogspot.com/2009/06/carnation-tutorial.html

I actually bought a carnation cutter, which pre-cut those little lines around the petals so that did save me quite a bit of time, it only cost me £2 though so i thought it was a bargain!
http://www.orchardproducts.co.uk/ref37l---large-carnation-cutter-c1-40mm-73-p.asp thats the one i have icon_smile.gif

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 2:19pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks again to JanH for posting this tutorial. Here is the link for making daffodils: http://www.make-fabulous-cakes.com/gum-paste-daffodil.html

Phyllis52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phyllis52 Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 2:24pm
post #8 of 10

Wow, thanks Cath Cakes - you are fast! I'm going to print out the tutorial and give it a try. I'm also going to look into buying that cutter, it looks like it will save a lot of work.

Again, thank you so much.

Phyllis

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 2:56pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caths_Cakes

well, Daisys would problies be the very easiest, its just one cutter and nothing else really. but i found carnations very simple to do, and they look so beautiful , i have a pic in my photos of some in a teacup. each one took me less than 5 mins to make!

LUV your carnations- they are beautiful! And they are my fave flower (believe it or not?!) so I think I'll give them a try. Did you use the Wilton cutter?

honeyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeyscakes Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 3:17pm
post #10 of 10

I never made Gum paste flowers before...but I had to make about 50+ tea roses for my niece's cake.I watched Edna's tutorials on youtube, I wish I could tinker with the pictures I took (my gum paste Rose before watching Edna's video and After watching Edna's tutorials)but I cant seem to be able to post the pictures here icon_sad.gif
Anyways.let me tell you this much...now,my Facebook status says, " I LOVE EDNA icon_biggrin.gif" heeheeehee.... She is A M A Z I N G!!!!!!
here is the link to her youtube channel

I have already made, roses, rose buds, Calla Lilly(without the heart cutter though) in gum paste icon_biggrin.gif Thanks to Edna!
oooh I am SUPER excited to try the Daffodils.Thanks cownsj for posting the link!
All the fabulous people here at Cake Central ROCK!!!! <3 you all...Thanks for sharing so much with us thumbs_up.gif
-h

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%