Tillie6500 Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 1:12pm
post #1 of 17

Will adding a decoration on a wire and shoving it into a cake make the
cake inedible, (taint the cake).

16 replies
kimkait Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimkait Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 1:37pm
post #2 of 17

Push a straw down in the cake to put the wire in. The wire should not be touching the cake.

AnotherCreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCreation Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 1:38pm
post #3 of 17

I have seen a couple of post about this. I haven't used the wire yet, But it seems as though a lot of people use coffee stir sticks to cover the wire going into the cake. hth

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 1:41pm
post #4 of 17

yes, its a bad idea. theres a very big thread - 'for those that stick wires into cakes' - about it. some people do. most know its nto a great idea. use a flower pick or straw, i believe u can dip in chocolate too.
xx

CutieMcCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutieMcCakes Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 10:18pm
post #5 of 17

what about wrapping the wire with floral tape? is that ok to stick directly into the cake?

brincess_b Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 8:22am
post #6 of 17

nope, the tape isnt food safe.
xx

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 8:20pm
post #7 of 17

The moisture from fillings can go and cause your wires to rust, thus contaminating the food. Who would want to eat rusty cake and frosting?! UGH!!!

You also dip the floral tape or wire into chocolate, let it set, and then stick it into the cake. The wire will touch the chocolate which touches the cakes but you won't eat the chocolate-covered wire.

Paul

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 8:30pm
post #8 of 17

I have been looking for white coffee stirs because I thought they would look better in a cake than red ones. Never found any but I did find plastic baloon sticks that are really cheap and work perfectly. They are hollow like a straw, narrow & long & can be cut to any length you may need. Just a tidbit you might be able to use. icon_smile.gif

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 8:36pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by joy5678

I have been looking for white coffee stirs because I thought they would look better in a cake than red ones. Never found any but I did find plastic baloon sticks that are really cheap and work perfectly. They are hollow like a straw, narrow & long & can be cut to any length you may need. Just a tidbit you might be able to use. icon_smile.gif

Where did you find the plastic balloon sticks? Is that something any Party City might have???

Thanks!

joy5678 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 8:59pm
post #10 of 17

It's been over a year since I purchased them. They were left overs from a reunion party but I think I did get them from Party City.

brincess_b Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 9:03pm
post #11 of 17

i wouldnt expect them to be food safe though, if thats what you fancy, you get hollow lollipop sticks.
xx

jhay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhay Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 9:23pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Guys

The moisture from fillings can go and cause your wires to rust, thus contaminating the food. Who would want to eat rusty cake and frosting?! UGH!!!

Paul

Not that I agree with sticking wires in a cake...I don't. But how long would you have to have a wire in a cake for it to actually rust? I would think it would take more than a day or two.

joy5678 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 9:27pm
post #13 of 17

The baloon straws are probably as safe as putting plastic decorations on a cake. I can't imagine that they could be harmful in anyway.

anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 10:09pm
post #14 of 17

If you are sticking a flower bunch into the cake I recommend using the white plastic picks used for fresh flowers(Wilton). They are wider if you are going to be placing a larger grouping of flowers in one spot. I just put a little RI in the pick to help it stay in place.

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 12:56am
post #15 of 17

I found the white coffee stir-straws at Albertsons. They were in a strange place, though...on the aisle with the seasonal stuff...picnic stuff etc.

marisanovy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marisanovy Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 1:18am
post #16 of 17

What about covering the wire with saran plastic? Any one ever tried this? Or even foil? They are both food safe.

Tillie6500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tillie6500 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 3:15pm
post #17 of 17

Thank you all for your help. I will now feel safe in working with wire.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%