Cake Decorating For African Women - Small Enterprise Ideas

Decorating By dclose Updated 10 Apr 2010 , 10:21pm by kissylips

dclose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dclose Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 9:15pm
post #1 of 3

Hi! Wondering if wedding cakes are an option to pursue with women I'll be working with in Zambia. It can be hot. Cakes are usually fruitcake covered with marzipan and I thought American style cakes would go over well until I considered the heat.

Anyone have advice on whether it would be a problem to pursue cakes in say 100 degree weather? Will it all melt?

2 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 9:48pm
post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclose

Cakes are usually fruitcake covered with marzipan and I thought American style cakes would go over well until I considered the heat.

Anyone have advice on whether it would be a problem to pursue cakes in say 100 degree weather? Will it all melt?

Well, if you're used to baking fruitcakes in 100 degree weather - American cakes will be easier because they're not as dense so have a much shorter baking time.

And American cakes can be covered in fondant if you're worried about the American buttercream frostings melting...

HTH

kissylips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kissylips Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 10:21pm
post #3 of 3

just wanted to say I think this is a FABULOUS idea to empower women ! I have been to Africa on a mission trip and have a heart for the massive needs there. I hope this takes off in Zambia.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%