How Do I Handle This? Canned Frosting On Wedding Cake!

Decorating By bunnypatchbaker Updated 23 Jun 2010 , 2:45pm by JaeRodriguez

QueenMo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenMo Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 6:15am
post #121 of 135

...yeah if we're going for elegance it's going to look terrible. i pretty much agree with what everyone is saying, maybe as a filling or another grooms cake but on the brides cake it will look terrible. maybe you can try making her a one layer example or something and actually showing her how bad it will look? i think alot of times people dont realize what they're asking for or how it will look. It looks like something awesome in their head but not in reality.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 1:46pm
post #122 of 135

I found that picture in a larger size! 1199 x 1600 pixels!
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_y31ogCNRaYQ/StPe-6hTKCI/AAAAAAAAEMg/g1wKPx4tQMw/DSCF5313.JPG

It's from www.lulubellcupcakes.com/gallery
At the larger size, you can really see the method of icing.
It looks like a nice fun cake, fitting the mood the bride wants her reception to be.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 2:15pm
post #123 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

I found that picture in a larger size! 1199 x 1600 pixels!
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_y31ogCNRaYQ/StPe-6hTKCI/AAAAAAAAEMg/g1wKPx4tQMw/DSCF5313.JPG

It's from www.lulubellcupcakes.com/gallery
At the larger size, you can really see the method of icing.
It looks like a nice fun cake, fitting the mood the bride wants her reception to be.

I think that cake looks perfectly fine if it's fine with the bride. If having that frosting is so important to her, I'd love to go ahead and make it. And frosting it the way they did here works fine. It sounds like this bride is much more concerned with the flavor and look of this particular icing than in a traditional wedding cake design. I think that's great. But I would want her to know what the frosting would look like on the cake first, just so she isn't caught off guard. I'd like to think that even just showing her this photo would be enough for her to decide to go for it or not, and I'm guessing she'll go for it.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 2:41pm
post #124 of 135

Good job 7yyrt on finding that photo. I've been trying to picture it in my mind.

Still anxious to see what the op ends up doing.

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 2:55pm
post #125 of 135

That's a great example (from 7yyrt). The only thing I think it needs is a border around the bottom of the layers, one of the colors of the candy or something. Or possibly even a ribbon.

Pleeeeeease, OP, tell us what you're going to do, we're all waiting......

icon_biggrin.gif

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 3:21pm
post #126 of 135

Do as the bride requests - we've all seen things in Cake Wrecks that would make a great day horrible. We've all heard the horror stories. For the cake "snobs" - remember that the majority of people have grown up with and love canned frosting. Yes, it doesn't work well for decorating, but it's what the bride wants. I do like the idea of having her taste test a small cake like she wants, and then ask her what filling she wants. She will tell everyone how great you are to work with, and that you were the only person who would do her special request.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 3:34pm
post #127 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by LePetitGourmet

I'd do it, too. I don't think it will damage your reputation. In fact, the bride and groom will be estatic and tell everyone how great you are to work with. And you really can make it nice looking if you use some of the suggestions given already. I love the chocolate curl idea. And the rough peaks in the icing would work, too.

I agree 100%. I think what everyone is forgetting is every cake they present to the bride and groom has the chance of ruining their reputation even if the cake looks fantastic and fits into the preconceived wedding cake mold. If the B&G for whatever reason, decide they don't like it when they see it on their wedding day, your reputation will be ruined by that group of people regardless of how formal and gorgeous your cake is.

A perfect wedding cake image can be just as damaging to your reputation as a far-out there rainbow chip iced wedding cake. The client will always be the deciding factor on this regardless of which kind of cake you think is an appropriate wedding cake.

TOMAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TOMAY Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 3:34pm
post #128 of 135

When I first starting doing cakes I was unaware that there was any other type of icing than canned. When I did a wedding cake I just added powdered sugar to thicken up the icing , It worked it was very tempremetal to heat . In my Kitchen Aid It was something like 4-5 cans of store bought icing and 2 pds of powdered sugar. There is no recipe I just played with it . It does taste like canned frosting and not your traditional buttercream. Good luck I hope this helps
T

CBMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CBMom Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 11:08pm
post #129 of 135

Love the suggestions for the ribbon around the bottom - just a tip, use black ribbon. The canned icing will really do a job on changing any other colour.

I would make the cake presentation look as deliberately "funfetti/rainbow chip" as possible. Ask for the cake table to be dressed in black, sprinkle confetti as decor on the tabletop, black ribbon on tiered borders, and a black monogram initial on the top...or take it OVER the top, and go for cake jewelry on wires in the funfetti colours. Elegant wedding, but REALLY fun cake type idea.

This is a pic of a cake I did for a Bridal Shower.

They wanted canned frosting, and the Bride's colours were pink and black.

White, soft pink, pink flowers, and a black ribbon to pull it all together.
Iced with canned frosting crumb coat, chilled. Iced smooth on the sides, rough with cake sparkles on top.

They were thrilled, everyone was happy. It's all good when it's all cake!

icon_smile.gif
LL

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 11:13pm
post #130 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMom

Love the suggestions for the ribbon around the bottom - just a tip, use black ribbon. The canned icing will really do a job on changing any other colour.

I would make the cake presentation look as deliberately "funfetti/rainbow chip" as possible. Ask for the cake table to be dressed in black, sprinkle confetti as decor on the tabletop, black ribbon on tiered borders, and a black monogram initial on the top...or take it OVER the top, and go for cake jewelry on wires in the funfetti colours. Elegant wedding, but REALLY fun cake type idea.

This is a pic of a cake I did for a Bridal Shower.

They wanted canned frosting, and the Bride's colours were pink and black.

White, soft pink, pink flowers, and a black ribbon to pull it all together.
Iced with canned frosting crumb coat, chilled. Iced smooth on the sides, rough with cake sparkles on top.

They were thrilled, everyone was happy. It's all good when it's all cake!

icon_smile.gif

Wow, great ideas, and you did a great job implementing the whole thing.

CBMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CBMom Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 4:42pm
post #131 of 135

[quote="cownsj"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMom

Wow, great ideas, and you did a great job implementing the whole thing.

Thank you very much!
I really appreciate that, and nice of you to say icon_smile.gif

Have a great day, CCers, and let us know how it all works out!!

havoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havoc Posted 3 May 2010 , 5:59pm
post #132 of 135

Bunnypatchbaker - would your bride consider splitting the difference? I mean, how about your buttercream to fill & up the sides (can be as smooth and fancy as you'd like) and use the canned stuff on the tops. Throw a border on the top edge, and it would look a bit like a filled top. It could be the mullet of cakes - business on the sides, party on the tops.

Everyone gets their way - even the cake snobs who can't stand the taste of the canned stuff. If it's filled with buttercream, then they could just not eat the canned portion. They'd still get their buttercreamy goodness in the middle.

Just a thought...

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 4 May 2010 , 1:19pm
post #133 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc

It could be the mullet of cakes - business on the sides, party on the tops.

icon_lol.gif Hahaha! Nice visual. But a good idea if the bride likes it!

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 4 May 2010 , 4:27pm
post #134 of 135

Its been almost a whole month since this topic was originally posted; just curious if any decision was made either way on the cake/frosting.

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 2:45pm
post #135 of 135

I PM'd the OP and asked her to update us a couple weeks ago, no answer, maybe she's busy making the cake! :] Hope to see the finished product!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%