Can Bloggers Use Our Cake Photos?

Decorating By bjfranco Updated 17 Apr 2010 , 12:57am by TracyLH

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 11:43pm
post #31 of 35

this is great information!! thank you for sharing.
and congrats to many of you who had cakes featured on other bloggers.

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 12:12am
post #32 of 35

icon_biggrin.gif

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 12:39am
post #33 of 35

My opinion only but I think its great that this gal has the cakes displayed with who created each one.
That to me is free exposure for the decorator/creator and that can only be a good thing. Think of how many posts have been made about how can I get more exposure for my cakes? This gals blog is doing that for free.
CC is open to anyone and everyone that wishes to read the forums or browse the cake photos. They could be looking for idea's or just want to look at all the fantastic cakes. I know my granddaughter does.

I would think a lot of cake photos on CC have been copied and sent to family and friends asking what they thought of this sort of design for Aunt Marys bd cake?
The same thing happens here on the forums. I've seen many a post where someone will post a photo of another decorators cake asking for help on re-creating it for an upcoming wedding.

CC is a public forum, that makes all members cake photo's public as well.
The only way around that, is don't add cake photos you don't want others to use for ideas or blogs etc, make them private instead. Such as flickr or other photo sites that have the option of viewing by permisson only.

That being said, if someone takes and displays your cake photo on their website and claims it for their own work, thats a whole different story.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 12:49am
post #34 of 35

I recently told a website to remove my photos, I don't find it flattering in the least. There was credit given, a link etc and anything else they could dig up about me on their site. I emailed politely asking why they had gone against the notice on my site that says: "Ask me first"...they responded with abusive language telling me I was ungrateful, blah blah blah... icon_rolleyes.gif They refused to identify themselves which told me a lot...

As for watermarking...they can be removed because last year someone stole a watermarked photo of a huge cake sculpture I did off my site, and it found on their site without the watermark . I have no idea how (or why) anyone has the time to remove watermarks...such misdirected skills. ??? Because it had been photographed at a local gallery, I had documentation that it was indeed mine and they removed it. It's good to have a lawyer in the family.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 12:57am
post #35 of 35

Thanks for all of the great PS info, Doug!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%