How Do I Get The Shine Back

Decorating By mommynana Updated 10 Apr 2010 , 11:41am by mommynana

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 2:44am
post #1 of 10

how do i clean the powder sugar off the red and black fondant to make it nice and clean the color becomes dull after rolling out the fondant

9 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 2:53am
post #2 of 10

Well, next time, roll the fondant on a thin film of veg shortening, not powdered sugar.

For now, you can use your airbrush and blow vodka on the cake, Or just try to brush it off. If possible put a little veg shortening on your hands and rub the cake.

mommynana Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 3:01am
post #3 of 10

thanks leah_s icon_smile.gif

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 4:40am
post #4 of 10

Story for you....

I had a cake due well it's 12:33 am so I guess yesterday... I also had a prior commitment the night before...so DH said he would cover the cakes... well I will not complain because he helped me a whole lot... however... the cakes were all covered in PS... we used MMF and it was all white powdery and dull....

so I was finally going to try the steamer I got at Walmart... so we turn it on... and when the steam start coming out of the hose... hot water also start spitting out and dripping out...so I said to DH... no we can't... the water will mess it up....

DH says... well let's try the iron... and since I hate ironing... when I need a touch up I just use the iron with water and steam the wrinkles... no water drips... EVER...

so we get the iron... fill with water.... place the whole finished decorated cake on a turntable.... he pushes the steam button while I slowly turn the turntable....

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW Beautifulllll all shiny... looked sticky... I put the ceiling fan on for like 10 minutes.... then touch a part in the back just to see how sticky it was since it was still so so shiny.... NOT STICKY!! ALL DRY!!! SHINY!!! Perfect.....

So we will keep the iron in the kitchen from now on... lemme try to post a pic so u can see how good it comes out... and this is after being all blotchy (sp?) and dull with PS....

I will Iron Steam ALL my cakes from now on lol

hth

dalis4joe Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 4:48am
post #5 of 10

Here is the pic.... see how shiny... looks wet doesn't it??? well it's NOT!! it's dry.. you can touch it... and it's not leaving fingerprints... or smears or anything...

hth
LL

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 5:03am
post #6 of 10

That looks awesome!! I will try that next time b/c if I add vodka..complaints come from the taste on the fondant..so i don't like to do that and you can kind of taste the shortening on fondant also..so I will try this ! Thanks for sharing!

dalis4joe Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 6:18am
post #7 of 10

np... I did one cake by brushing vodka and had streak marks all over... didn't think of air brushing it like leah said though... but like I said... the iron from now on lol

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 6:30am
post #8 of 10

dalis4joe...wow what a gorgeous cake.............yes I knew my steamer would spit water so I never used it....I will have to try this trick..thanks

mommynana Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 11:25am
post #9 of 10

thanks dalis4joe i have use a brush and ur right it dose leave brush marks i though maybe that their was a special brush i could use or something but the steamer sounds GREAT

mommynana Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 11:41am
post #10 of 10

that is a beautiful cake dalis4joe, the circles did u use just fondant or did u mix gum paste in th fondant i dont know if it`s best to mix in the gum paste or just fondant im so new to this i love getting into all this cuz everthing looks so beautiful and the cakes people puts on this site makes me want to eat them......and i dont even EAT CAKE

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%