Garage Conversion To Industrial Kitchen...

Business By TotallyBaked Updated 10 Apr 2010 , 5:17pm by minicuppie

TotallyBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TotallyBaked Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 8:14pm
post #1 of 8

So, DH and I have decided to convert our garage into an industrial kitchen. If its possible to do so, I'd like to follow the guidelines to have a health department approved licensed kitchen when this is all complete. Can anyone tell me where to find the guidelines? Thanks!

7 replies
cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 8:18pm
post #2 of 8

Depends on where in Texas you are located. I do know that the garage/kitchen cannot have a doorway into your home directly. You must have an exterior entrance to the kitchen. Also, depending where you are will depend if your area is zoned for commercial or not. So where in Texas are you located?

TotallyBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TotallyBaked Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 10:12pm
post #3 of 8

I'm in East Texas... Mineola is the town, we're about 30 minutes north of Tyler and an hour east of Dallas... Thanks a ton, in advance!

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 4:19am
post #4 of 8

There is a great Texas list on Earlene Moore's website. It is located in her business article's section.
She has also posted 2 pages of photos of the area she and her husband converted into a kitchen. The 2nd page is harder to find, but worth it. It will give you some ideas for using the space you have.

-Debbie B.

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 4:25am
post #5 of 8

I checked Earlene's website to make sure things were the same. She has made some changes.

Go to the alphabetical list to reach the Business Articles for information.

Go to the About Me section to see the photos. I scrolled down to the bottom of the page for the button. It is actually easier to navigate now.

-Debbie B.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 6:47am
post #6 of 8
sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 3:44pm
post #7 of 8

ive done this, first thing is check with your city to see if they will allow this, there may be restriction like i cannot have more then 4 business deliveries a day, (only person to deliver to me is the mailman!!) and customers must park in my drive way.
If the city allows it, then ask for their Enviromental Health Office and talk to him. You should read the TFER the Texas Food Establishment Regulations which they go by, its online, about 200 pages. You will need to draw up plans for the EHO to go over them, he will advise you on changes or a better layout. Once he approves that, you get a building permit from your city and start work. The EHO may charge to approve plans, the city will charge for the building permit. Good luck, pm me if you have other questions.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 5:17pm
post #8 of 8

Absolutely check your zoning before you start. One of the posters on here did the whole build out and then found out that she was zoned residential.

Quote by @%username% on %date%