Cream Cheese Icing Under Fondant- Refrigerate?

Decorating By SugarBakers05 Updated 11 Apr 2010 , 10:28pm by DanaG21

SugarBakers05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakers05 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 2:46pm
post #1 of 8

Hi all, have a quick question... I'm making a red velvet cake with Cream cheese icing, and covering in fondant. Is it ok to leave out overnight, or does it have to be refrigerated? Thanks for any input icon_smile.gif

7 replies
eccl1-12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eccl1-12 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 5:30pm
post #2 of 8

Sounds difficult- it seems like it would be hard to get Cream Cheese frosting solid enough to put fondant on top. I personally think it should be refrigerated, both for the type of icing and so that the fondant doesnt weigh it down when it is soft, it might start squishing out? I don't know for sure, that is just hwat I would worry about.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 7:29pm
post #3 of 8

Personally, I'd keep it in the fridge. But only crumb coat the cake until you're ready to put the fondant on. Otherwise it will not stick to the cream cheese icing (at least, that's been my experience.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 1:30am
post #4 of 8

The answer to your question depends on which cream cheese icing recipe you use. There are several recipes that are shelf-stable, the one that comes to mind for me is found at earlenescakes.com. That recipe, and the crusting cream cheese here on CC, are sturdy enough to put under fondant (but the ccc recipe requires refrigeration, I believe). I refrigerate ANY icing in order to put fondant my cakes - it makes it SO much easier and you end up with the ability to put a full layer of icing under the fondant.

If it were me and I wanted to leave it out, I would make Earlene's recipe, ice, chill, fondant, chill again til the fondant sets up (that's just me though, like doing it to ensure my edges don't sag) and then leave it out whenever you're ready.

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 11:08am
post #5 of 8

I'm also making a red velvet cake with cream cheese icing and fondant this weekend. I refrigerate it with no problems. I use a 1:1 sugar/fat ratio and it's plenty firm to put under the fondant. Good luck!

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 11:38am
post #6 of 8

I use edna's crusting cramcheese icing recipe... it's really tasty and works just like a crusting buttercream...

I just did a red velevet with the creamcheese icing and covered in fondant with no problem... but I always fridge it....

Maybe if you use Jello Creamcheese Pudding Mix to make the icing... then I guess u don't need to fridge it....

hth

SugarBakers05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakers05 Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 7:53pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks for the input everyone! thumbs_up.gif

DanaG21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaG21 Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 10:28pm
post #8 of 8

I'm making the same thing red velvet with cream cheese. I was thinking of using white chocolate ganache under my fondant. Has anyone done this? If so do you have a white chocolate ganache recipe you'll share? Otherwise I will check out the recipes recommended here. Thanks to the OP and all the suggestions!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%