6-Inch Tall Tiers And Sps

Decorating By tootie0809 Updated 10 Apr 2010 , 5:25pm by tootie0809

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 4:13am
post #1 of 3

I've done a few cakes with 6-inch tall tiers and haven't had so far (knock on wood) any disasters with them falling in on themselves. I uses SPS and just cut the supports to 6 inches tall, but I just read a thread here that got me thinking maybe I'm setting myself up for a disaster and just have gotten lucky so far.

I torte my cakes so in a 6-inch tier I have three 2-inch tiers torted, for a total of six 5/8-inch layers and 5 layers of filling. Should I be separating these tiers with another SPS plate and support legs after 3 layers so it's only 3 inches of cake instead of a full 6 inches? I hope that makes sense.

Like I said, so far I've done the 6 inch tiers with just the 6 inch support legs and haven't had anything collapse on me, but I have several weddings coming up with at least one or 2, sometimes 3, 6-inch tall tiers and don't want to set myself up for a possible disaster.

2 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 4:24pm
post #2 of 3

No, you're fine the way you're doing it. Other than that being a really tall cake that would make the caterer nuts and require a dinner plate instead of a dessert plate to serve it, but the support is fine. icon_smile.gif

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 5:25pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks Leah! I was hoping you'd chime in here with your expertise. Yeah, I'm glad I'm not the one who has to cut those tall slices. I can barely cut a 4-inch slice decently, but cutting the cake is not my job, thankfully. Thanks for the info!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%