Whipped Cream Frosting - Freezable?

Decorating By danda2008 Updated 25 May 2012 , 3:22am by Jeep_girl816

danda2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danda2008 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 3:45am
post #1 of 7

I am very new at this so this is kind of a dumb question...I am going to be making a cake using stabilized whipped cream and have to make it ahead of time, i only have room to store it in my freezer. would this work?

6 replies
misabel99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misabel99 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 5:55am
post #2 of 7

I use Pastry Pride or bettercream for my cakes and I freeze the pastry pride already whipped without a problem.

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 2:42pm
post #3 of 7

You can freeze real whipped cream, but the flavor changes. It tastes a little sour when defrosted.

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 7

It does change the texture a little bit...I usually only freeze it in slices after we've had the ceremonial cutting! icon_wink.gif

danda2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danda2008 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 9:55pm
post #5 of 7

ok thank you guys very much for your help. i would hate to serve a cake that tastes sour icon_redface.gif

Iggy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iggy Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 10:15pm
post #6 of 7

You can not freeze real whipped cream. It will separate and you won't be able to rewhip it to consistency. It looks curdled when you defrost it. You're better off using Rich's Bettercream.

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 25 May 2012 , 3:22am
post #7 of 7

Ok, so I'm doing a mad hatter crooked cake for my daughter's birthday and when I've done that style before I just used a flavored buttercream filling because I knew it could stand up to being frozen, carved & fondant covered but I haven't done one in a loooong time and gave been using whip cream +pudding mix fillings lately. I know the whip cream wouldnt hold up to the freezing so would Pastry Pride? It sounds like it might. I would just bite the bullet and do it but I really don't want to deal with a disaster for my baby's first bday(not to mention I have a reputation to maintain with my family and friends lol!)Thanks in advance!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%