Buttercream Icing Cracks

Decorating By heartofoklahoma Updated 8 Apr 2010 , 9:28pm by heartofoklahoma

heartofoklahoma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartofoklahoma Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 5

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could tell me why my buttercream icing cracks after it has set on the cake. Then I cant do nothing with it, except start all over.
Thank you in advance!

4 replies
susgene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susgene Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 5

What recipe of icing are you using? I used to use the Wilton recipe with all shortening but I had the cracks and it made me so mad! So I switched to IndyDebi's recipe about a month ago and NO CRACKS!!! And it is delicious, easy to spread and smooth.

lissergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lissergirl Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 5

Two things immediately come to mind here. My first thought is that your buttercream may not have enough moisture in it. This can be corrected by mixing in a little water or milk (I use water so I don't have to refrigerate the cake.) Another possibility could be that your cake board is not stiff enough and is allowing the cake to give slightly when you're moving it. Hope this helps!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 9:18pm
post #4 of 5

I would b inclined to blame the thickness of the boards first. Weak support will always lead to problems.

And lissergirl - you can use milk no problem in bc, it doesn't need to go in the fridge, the sugar acts as a preservative.

xx

heartofoklahoma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartofoklahoma Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 9:28pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you all so much for your advice! I use, 1 1/4 cup crisco, 1/2 cup water 1 1/2 buttercream flavoring, and 2lb bag of powdered sugar. Also, I used 2 cake boards taped together for an 8 and 6" cake. It was my wizard of oz cake that the icing cracked. Thank you all again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%