Orange Scratch Cake For Mini Cupcakes?

Baking By TamathaV Updated 9 Apr 2010 , 12:27am by Kitagrl

TamathaV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamathaV Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 7:57pm
post #1 of 5

I wonder if anyone can help me? I am looking for a really orange-y, juicy tasting scratch recipe for mini creamsicle cupcakes for this weekend. I try not to add any artificial flavorings like jello to my cakes. BUT so far my orange flavor has just been too subtle. I've been using the scratch WASC base for almost everything but just subbing out OJ and zest for the milk isn't doing it. It's delicious on it's own but the vanilla SMBC I use always seems to overwhelm the cake flavor.

By the way, I have this issue with a lot of my fruit flavored cakes. People seem to want the natural, no artificial stuff and they'll pay for it but they're disappointed if they can't even make out the flavor and I don't blame themicon_wink.gif

Since they are mini cupcakes, I'm thinking pound cake might stay moister for longer. Has anyone tried Ina Garten's orange pound cake or do you have a recipe you love? I've also thought about adding a little orange curd dollop on top and piping BC over and around it.

I'm open to all ideas!!!

- Tammy

4 replies
TamathaV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamathaV Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 12:11am
post #2 of 5

Okay, I went ahead and made Ina's and it is sooo good. Here's the link if anyone is interested: http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Barefoot-Contessas-Orange-Pound-Cake-144654

By the way, I subbed OJ concentrate for the juice and added Lorann natural orange emulsion. I did add a little orange food coloring as well since it's going on a dessert buffet that's all white, green and orange. About 3 or 4 drops of Ateco plain orange. It's orange enough but not neonicon_wink.gif

Last, I used a tablespoon of lemon juice with the fresh OJ for the syrup soak. It's super good! Very light texture for pound cake and very orange!!! Now on to the white chocolate SMBC, skipping curd this time...too many other irons in the fire.

Tammy

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 12:21am
post #3 of 5

Thanks for the review along with your adjustments for the orange cake recipe. I'm always looking for good flavored cakes - I'll put this on my "to try" list.

kellymarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellymarie Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 12:27am
post #4 of 5

I swear by pure orange and lemon oils! and i add the zest most times as well. i use the brand BOYAJIAN and i get it from goldas kitchen- those cakes are fabulous with just a simple glaze....

gonna try the recipe you provided- thanks!! I hope your order works fabulously!! icon_biggrin.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 12:27am
post #5 of 5

I agree with food coloring!!!! Its amazing how much more "lemony" a slightly yellow cake will taste. haha.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%