Sheet Cakes.. Can I Use A Regular Mix?

Decorating By newbysara Updated 9 Apr 2010 , 7:39pm by kakeladi

newbysara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbysara Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 6:57am
post #1 of 8

Hi i've heard that you are supposed to use a different type of batter for sheet cakes.. is this true? Or can i use a regular white cake mix?

7 replies
sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 10:37am
post #2 of 8

You do not have to use any special batter for a sheetcake. I always use mix for any cake that I make, I find they are more reliable and moist vs. scratch. It will take more than 1 mix for a 1/4 sheetcake-to get a 2" high cake after leveling (and to get enough batter in the pan to fill 2/3).
Good luck!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 1:34pm
post #3 of 8

been using mixes for 30 years, just like my mom and my aunts did. Even my gramma used mixes.

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 8:47pm
post #4 of 8

For a 12X18 pan, I used 3 boxes of mix and 2 boxes of instant pudding and it filled great. Baked with bake even strips and 2 flower nails and it was just right.

lissergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lissergirl Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 9:02pm
post #5 of 8

I also use 3 cake mixes and 2 flower nails. For white cake, I have not used the pudding, but I have for some of my flavored cakes. I back my oven down to 325 degrees (from 350) and add a little to the baking time. For white cakes, I also parchment my pan to prevent them from getting too dark.

Kosha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kosha Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 10:49pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by lissergirl

I also use 3 cake mixes and 2 flower nails. For white cake, I have not used the pudding, but I have for some of my flavored cakes. I back my oven down to 325 degrees (from 350) and add a little to the baking time. For white cakes, I also parchment my pan to prevent them from getting too dark.

Why do you use the flower nails?

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 7:20pm
post #7 of 8

The flower nail conducts the heat and helps the cake to bake evenly. I use Reynods Freezer paper, cut to the size of the pan in the bottom of all my sheetcakes. Place the shiny side of the paper up-or touching the cake batter. When you flip the cake out of the pan, just slowly peel off the paper-No sticking!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 7:39pm
post #8 of 8

I'm not totally against using flower nails but I baked my 12x18x2 sheets without any for sooooo many years and no trouble.
I used 2 batches of my *origianl* WASC cake recipe in that size.

And for baker even strips I used well soaked paper towels at the corners icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%