Ka Pro600 Reviews

Decorating By TX_girl Updated 10 Apr 2010 , 8:51pm by totallymomma

TX_girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TX_girl Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 7:10pm
post #1 of 20

Hi folks! I'm a newbie here, I hope you don't mind me jumping up right away and asking for some advice icon_smile.gif

I've been using my mother-in-law's small artisan Kitchen Aid mixer and really like it, but it's barely big enough to make a decent sized batch of icing so I've been looking into getting a bigger one. A pro 600 to be exact.
But I started looking at the reviews on those things and now I'm scared!
They shut off after 10 to 15 minutes and you have to wait for it to cool off for 30 min. before you can use it again?
The gears break? I know it'll be under warranty for a while but even though the fixing of it won't cost I'm thinking the shipping back to get it fixed will be a killer!
So are they worth it?
Should I look into something else?
Thought? Advice?

Thanks in advance.

19 replies
Hillywu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hillywu Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 7:26pm
post #2 of 20

I have the 5 quart "professional" kitchen aid mixer and I love it. Received it as a wedding gift back in 2001 and have used it VERY regularly. Makes a perfect batch of Sugarshack buttercream. If it ever dies on me I know I'll go out and get another one ASAP. It is definitely one thing I would not want to be without. I am not sure on the pro 600 specifically. HTH.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 8:09pm
post #3 of 20

I have no idea what the reviews are saying but I have the KA600 pro and I simply love it! I use it nearly every day and have absolutely no problems from it at all.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 8:24pm
post #4 of 20

I have had the pro KA 600 for about 5 years and have had no problems. However, after hearing so much about the problem with gears, if it ever quits I'll probably look into a Viking.

TX_girl Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 10:27pm
post #5 of 20

Okay, Thanks gals! The Viking seems to have it's cons as well - and they look to be quite expensive.
I knew there must be people who had good luck with their kitchen aids or else they wouldn't be so popular but I just know I'd be the one to get a lemon icon_cool.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 10:45pm
post #6 of 20

I think everything has it's cons.

Musings9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Musings9 Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 11:05pm
post #7 of 20

I recently bought a KA Artisan Pro 5, I use it quite regularly and haven't had a problem yet. It's only been about 4 mos though.

CelebrationsbyLori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationsbyLori Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 11:16pm
post #8 of 20

I bought the KA 600 and had trouble with it right out of the box. I returned it to KA 6 times over 18 months and they finally bought it back from me for full retail value (at their suggestion). I bought a Waring which is just like the Viking and been extremely happy with it. It has a 7 qt. bowl which easily makes a double batch of buttercream, it runs for hours without heating up or giving any problems. I've had it for over a year now!
Good luck whatever you decide!
Lori

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 2:51am
post #9 of 20

I've been using my KAPro600 for over 7 years with no problems. It gets used for cake batter, icing, cookie dough, pasta dough (and rolling the pasta), pizza dough, bread dough, and my hubby uses the meat grinder attachment to make homemade sausage.

Skidoochic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skidoochic Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 3:04pm
post #10 of 20

I have had the KA6Q for about 6 months now and no problems (fingers crossed). I also have the KA Pro 5Q right next to it and mix cakes and frostings at the same time. It is awesome! My 5Q is more than 15 years and the only problem is you have to unplug it to shut it off. Other than that- it is STILL awesome! HTH!

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 3:10pm
post #11 of 20

I have had a KA Pro 600 for about four years - sitting beside my 28-year-old 5qt KA. I still use the 5qt frequently - love 'em both.

TX_girl Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 3:16pm
post #12 of 20

Thanks ya'll I'm starting to feel encouraged now. From what I'm reading it seems like the KA customer service is also unparalleled. Have ya'll found that to be true?

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 3:17pm
post #13 of 20

Love it...Love it...love it icon_biggrin.gif . No problems out of my Pro600. I've had it for only a year but I don't anticipate any problems....its a KitchenAid for after all icon_wink.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 3:37pm
post #14 of 20

A few years ago the Pro6's were plagued with ALL kinds of problems. I went thru 3 in four months. They kept breaking and the company kept replacing them. After the third one, I asked for my $ back and got a full refund.

The KAs from the olden days were indeed a fine piece of equipment. Not nearly as well made any more.

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 4:54pm
post #15 of 20

I have a Kitchen Aid Ultra Power mixer that I have had for about 19 years and I love it. I would definitely buy another one when this one quits. Can't speak so highly of their blenders however icon_wink.gif

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 5:03pm
post #16 of 20

I love mine icon_smile.gif

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 5:53pm
post #17 of 20

I love mine too. Can't imagine how I ever lived without it!

revskg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revskg Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 5:58pm
post #18 of 20

I have a Pro 600 that I got about 2 months ago. It is awesome. It was my undersatnding that the problems people were reporting was because they were using plastic gears in them at one point, and that now they are using metal gears.

sugarplumfairycanada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarplumfairycanada Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 6:10pm
post #19 of 20

I've had my pro 600 for about 5 or 6 years and I use it a lot for everything and never had one problem. The other mixing bowls look too small for me. I love the 6 quart capacity and trust me I push it to the max.

totallymomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
totallymomma Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 8:51pm
post #20 of 20

I received one of these for Christmas last year and have had no problems with it so far. It has been used to make bread (2-3 loaves per day), 20 to 30 lbs of icing per week, as well as mixing cake mixes, etc.
It is a good, sturdy unit that performs well. I would suggest getting an additional paddle that has a rubber scraper. It is not available from KA though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%