Disco Dust

Decorating By mrsdizney Updated 10 Apr 2010 , 8:37pm by peg818

mrsdizney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsdizney Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 4:05pm
post #1 of 12

I recently just ordered some disco dust to use on my nieces cake. Any advised how to adhere or tips would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Julie

11 replies
afunk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afunk Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 12

If you're using it on buttercream it will stick on its own. I like to dip a brush in the jar then tap the end gently so the dust falls off and I don't get a pile of it in one spot.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 7:18pm
post #3 of 12

Disco dust isn't edible.

Just thought i would let you know that.

thats-a-cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thats-a-cake Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 7:35pm
post #4 of 12

I looked up the disco dust on global sugar art because I didn't know it wasn't edible. It says it is non-toxic...wouldn't that mean you can eat it?

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 7:56pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by thats-a-cake

I looked up the disco dust on because I didn't know it wasn't edible. It says it is non-toxic...wouldn't that mean you can eat it?

you can, but she means it's not FDA approved as "edible" you can eat it but it's like eating anything labeled "non-toxic" such as...glue or markers...sorry, have toddlers, those are my two best examples right now icon_wink.gif

There's a big difference btwn edible and non-toxic. Make sure you let clients/family know that it's on there (ppl will appreciate being forwarned there is metal on their food) and try to use it on non-edibles, like gumpaste decorations...

thats-a-cake Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 11:10pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks! I've never used it and probably won't because I really like lustre dust....and the markers/glue thing was perfect lol

mrsdizney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsdizney Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 6:53pm
post #7 of 12

Thanks for the imput I had no idea! From what I gathered luster dust is edible and safe...is that correct??

peg818 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 10:24pm
post #8 of 12

the only dust that i know that is fda approved are crystal colors. They have a wonderful line of colors and pearls that are reasonably priced. They are sold at Global sugarart and many other sites out there.

Luster dust is non toxic as far as i know.

thats-a-cake Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 12:01pm
post #9 of 12

I don't know...hmmm...I haven't saved any of my packaging...but I'm going to the cake supply shop today and I will surely be looking!! I'll let ya know! I just assumed that since it's sold in with the cake supplies it was safe to eat...guess that goes to show what assuming will get me! icon_biggrin.gif

peg818 Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 2:53pm
post #10 of 12

I just checked my jars, i have some from sunflower sugar art and some from ck, they both are labeled non toxic. Thats not to say that people don't eat them, but that they haven't gone through the process to be fda approved for food. I have almost totally switched over to crystal colors and because they come in a larger package then the ck colors, i find them not to be that much more expensive.

Of course before i knew any better, i had used the ck lusters on things that were to be eaten. Now that i know there is an alternative i choose not to use that brand anymore.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 4:53pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by peg818

I just checked my jars, i have some from sunflower sugar art and some from ck, they both are labeled non toxic. Thats not to say that people don't eat them, but that they haven't gone through the process to be fda approved for food. I have almost totally switched over to crystal colors and because they come in a larger package then the ck colors, i find them not to be that much more expensive.

Of course before i knew any better, i had used the ck lusters on things that were to be eaten. Now that i know there is an alternative i choose not to use that brand anymore.

Do any of the crystal colors give as much shine as pearl or luster dust?

peg818 Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 8:37pm
post #12 of 12

there is a line of crystal colors that are pearl, there is a gold thats a nice gold then they make a bright white sliver, which i consider pearl.

There is a cake i'm working on now that i wanted a sliver piece of jewely and i didn't want to use the ck nu silver. So i mixed a flat slate color and the bright sliver and got as good of coverage as the ck would have given me.

Most of their colors are a flat they run $5 a jar and the pearls run $8 and you can custom mix any of the colors.

If you go into my photos and check out my seashell cake all the shells are done strictly with crystal colors and they were made with white chocolate clay

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%