First Cake Order Ever, I Don't Want To Mess It Up...

Decorating By cakemamaP Updated 8 Apr 2010 , 2:36am by cakemamaP

cakemamaP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemamaP Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 3:37pm
post #1 of 5

Okay ladies, I have an order for two cakes foremployess having a 20 and 30 year anniversary with the company that my husband works for. I have done 9 cakes for fun over the last few months and was hoping for this to happen and now it has much sooner than I ever expected. so my question is....what are the questions I need to ask the client when taking the order. They do know that I'm a home baker, but want to be professional as I hope to turn this from a hobby to a business one day. So obviously, how many servings, flavor, colors and what not...but are there things that one wouldn't think to ask if not in the cake business?? I'm so super excited but freaking out a bit at the same time!! I would truly appreciate some feedback.
Thanks icon_smile.gif
Corrine

4 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 6:07pm
post #2 of 5

be sure to tell them what your serving size is (how big you cut a slice) and how many they can expect to get from that particular size cake.

delivery time/location
get a name and phone number in case of anything that comes up while decorating (sometimes things just DON'T work...........it's nice if you're able to call and let them know what's going on and get changes ok'd)

Joybeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joybeth Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 6:17pm
post #3 of 5

Check out cakeboss.com and print out their example of a cake contract. It really helped me a lot.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 6:23pm
post #4 of 5

Looking at your photos you do excellent work icon_smile.gif Besides what has alread been suggested there are some other things to think about:
Cake flavor? Filling? Maybe use b'cream w/something like crushed candy, or cookies added &/or change the flavoring.
Any allergies? Thing to stay away from might be nuts and coconut
Find out asmuch as you can about each person. Male? what job do they do? can you design cake around that? What colors do they like/dislike? any hobbies? Lady: is she feminine or NO pink? Humor based design? or lots of flowers.
Want to make the c ake(s) big enough so there will be leftovers for the recipient to take home?
Are you getting paid? that might make a difference as to how big you can go.

cakemamaP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemamaP Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 2:36am
post #5 of 5

Thank you all so much, I'm feeling less freaked out and more excited!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%