Need Advice On How To Build A Cake.

Decorating By drowninginfondant Updated 10 Apr 2010 , 2:37am by sweettooth101

drowninginfondant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drowninginfondant Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 7:39pm
post #1 of 10

I want a 10-12 in base cake with a 6 inch tier in the middle and then an 8 inch for the top. I going for a certain effect. I am thinking of using the SPS system. Can anyone suggest a better way to do this? TIA.

9 replies
ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 11:50pm
post #2 of 10

I don't think that there is a better or safer way to do build a cake with SPS. It's fairly inexpensive and I use it for all stacked cakes and have the costs calculated into my cake prices. Once you use the system you'll never use anything else. Check out the 7 tier wedding cake in my cake photos - SPS all the way!

HTH's icon_smile.gif

cardicard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cardicard Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 12:06am
post #3 of 10

please could you tell me what a sps means, Thanks icon_smile.gif

ptanyer Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 12:26am
post #4 of 10

Single plate separator. Leah_s has this message posted on her signatures on replies to questions: "The SPS instructions are a Sticky at the top of the How Do I? Forum. Scroll to PAGE 15."

Here is a link to a topic about the SPS: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-603925-sps.html.

She made a believer out of me and I use it for every stacked cake.

HTH's icon_smile.gif

eccl1-12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eccl1-12 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 1:59am
post #5 of 10

If you have ever seen Colette Peters book called 'Cakes to Dream On' she talks about this. If I remember correctly, she uses styrofoam dummies for the smaller, and stacks the bigger on top of that. Of course if you want the smaller to be cake as well this may not really help. I have never used an SPS but it sounds good.

ptanyer Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 2:06am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccl1-12

If you have ever seen Colette Peters book called 'Cakes to Dream On' she talks about this. If I remember correctly, she uses styrofoam dummies for the smaller, and stacks the bigger on top of that. Of course if you want the smaller to be cake as well this may not really help. I have never used an SPS but it sounds good.

I love her books! I have 4 of them now. She gives great detail instructions.

drowninginfondant Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 11:50pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks for the info! I will check out her books. I didn't even think to use a dummy cake.

drowninginfondant Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 11:54pm
post #8 of 10

ptanyer, your cakes are really something. The 7 layer cake is awesome. Thanks for your response.

ptanyer Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 2:01am
post #9 of 10

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

sweettooth101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth101 Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 2:37am
post #10 of 10

Would you know if the sps is available in Canada?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%