Script Lettering Around Buttercream Iced Wedding Cake

Decorating By cakelady45 Updated 7 Apr 2010 , 8:41pm by fabfour

cakelady45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady45 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 6:45pm
post #1 of 12

afternoon all, I have a problem. I need to make words to go around an buttercream iced 3 tier cake for the beginning of May. I was going to use my edible ink printer and icing sheets to just print out the words and then cut the strips to size however my printer stopped working last week! I am trying to find a place to have it repaired but does anyone have any other ideas for me on how to do this in case I can't get this fixed? (other than piping them on or cutting them out of fondant I don't have any ideas. Since it is script font and they need to be pretty sizeable, I really didn't want to cut them out of fondant or pipe them. Please let me know if you can help in any way with some other ideas!
Thank you kindly!

11 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 6:52pm
post #2 of 12

stencils............go to the craft store and get some stencils!!

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 6:55pm
post #3 of 12

Do you have access to a Cricut? Maybe someone on CC can cut the lettering out for you if they live near you.........

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 6:57pm
post #4 of 12

You could send away for the images?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 8:00pm
post #5 of 12

Tappits?

cakelady45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady45 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 10:25pm
post #6 of 12

Thank you all for the responses! I though about stencils but the cake will be buttercream and I have not had luck with stencils on buttercream. I have some tappist too however they are very small and the only other ones I found on line are not large enough. The cricuit is a great idea. What kind of paper would you use for that?? icing sheets??

Thank you again!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 3:56pm
post #7 of 12

You can use icing sheets, gumpaste, chocolate clay, etc. with the cricket but have to roll it very thin and use the deep cut blade.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 4:15pm
post #8 of 12

it's very easy to stencil on buttercream, the buttercream that you smear on the stencil should be thinned down though (I just add some water to a small container of buttercream and use my pointed offset spatula to smear it on)

here is a buttercream on buttercream stenciled cake I just did......my VERY first and ONLY time stenciling and the whole thing was done in under 3 minutes!
LL

LateBloomer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LateBloomer Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 4:21pm
post #9 of 12

Wow KHalstead that is a very pretty cake and your stencils came out perfect!

cakesbymark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymark Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 4:25pm
post #10 of 12

nice job

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 5:27pm
post #11 of 12

Wow, that's gorgeous, KHalstead!!!!! icon_smile.gif

fabfour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabfour Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 8:41pm
post #12 of 12

I just did a wedding cake last weekend that was buttercream stencil on buttercream icing. Worked great! The cake is in my photos and it's the first cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%