American Cake Magazine And Mailbox News

Decorating By Sugarbutter Updated 14 Apr 2010 , 6:03am by Frotusbush

Sugarbutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbutter Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 36

I heard that these magazines are under new editors. Has anyone receibed their copies? What do you think of them?

35 replies
Edit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edit Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 3:31pm
post #2 of 36

I haven't received mine yet. I'm not satisfied with their promptness at all. The only reason I renewed my subscription because I want to know what's going on in the cake world. I just subscribed to the CC magazine, and if it is listing the events like ACD does, I won't renew ACD next year.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 3:31pm
post #3 of 36

I really don't care if they have new editors. Their previous "service" was so awful, I won't subscribe again. And the magazine itself is so thin it's not worth the $.

robinleah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinleah Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 3:38pm
post #4 of 36

I am with Leah_s. I am not renewing my subscription,it not worth the money. Other than our new CC magazine, anyone have any suggestions for replacements.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 4:01pm
post #5 of 36

I'm subscribed through the end of this year but I doubt I'll be renewing. Last year the delivery and content was so poor that it just isn't worth it. Not to mention that it's now APRIL and I have not received any 2010 issue at all. Forget it. thumbsdown.gif

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 5:06pm
post #6 of 36

I will also NOT renew my subscription. I'm so disenchanted with their service and product that I cannot see myself spending the money this year. I did subscribe to CC's magazine.

But I only subscribed after I purchased the first issue, to get a feel for what it would be like. The quality of the CC magazine is SO much better than ACD, that I was sold on it.

crazymomof4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazymomof4 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 5:23pm
post #7 of 36

I received the mailbox news last week. My very first issue. I subscribed back in September for both. I have never received ACD. I keep calling and they keep extending my subscription but what good is it doing me if I never get it!!! Loved the CC magazine.

dcarylmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcarylmk Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 5:23pm
post #8 of 36

I haven't received my January/Feb issue!! So frustrating!!

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 5:39pm
post #9 of 36

I'm jumping on the same train!! I, too, will not be renewing!! I just received the April MBN and what a disappointment. Half the magazine is filled with 1/2 filled pages. They are just white, blank spaces!! With no disrespect, the cakes published don't make me 'ohh' and 'ahhh!' I see more cakes that catch my interest here on CC for free!!!
~ Jaime

KarmaStew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarmaStew Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 6:31pm
post #10 of 36

I will never subscribe again. I had a one-year subscription to ACD and received three issues.... that first one a half year after subscribing. What kind of crap company sends the Jan/Feb issue at the end of Feb? That particular issue should be sent in the middle/end of December.

bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 6:45pm
post #11 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaStew

I will never subscribe again. I had a one-year subscription to ACD and received three issues.... that first one a half year after subscribing. What kind of crap company sends the Jan/Feb issue at the end of Feb? That particular issue should be sent in the middle/end of December.

At least you got yours. I'm still waiting and it's now April!! icon_confused.gif

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 7:08pm
post #12 of 36

Still waiting too! My Grandmother-in-law renewed my subscription (which I wasn't going to do anyway) because she saw the renewal come in while watching the kids a few days and thought it would make a "great Christmas present". Unfortunately I cannot remember the last time I actually received that stupid magazine and that mailbox news was the worst thing I've ever seen. She has called them numerous times and sent a copy of her canceled checks but to no avail. I see their adverts on the boxes of cake flour everytime I bake a cake. I guess it's not quite worth it to take them to court for the costs but I believe that it's become a scam.

DanaG21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaG21 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 7:13pm
post #13 of 36

My husband ordered my subscription in November and I still don't have anything. I agree with others my MBN does not inspire me. The work is nice but it doesn't inspire me to try anything new. I need to really see if I can cancel.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 9:15pm
post #14 of 36

I subscribed last August for both ACD and Mailbox News. I received Mailbox News months later and it was not worth the money so I cancelled. Then finally I received my first issue of ACD the end of December (5 months later) and was not very impressed and decided I would not renew and just let the supscription run its course.

Well it is now April and I still have not gotten my February/March issue and I cancelled ACD today!!! Done with it - no more.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 4:28am
post #15 of 36

been getting it for 15 yrs. the first 14 was great. the last year has been horrifying. won,t subscribe again, love my british ones though. will always get them. been getting them for 15 yrs. also. never a problem.

tmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmcakes Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 2:43am
post #16 of 36

Have no fear!!!! I just received my mailbox news last week.......auhhhh forgot to mention its the Jan/Feb issue....still waiting to get my ACD issue guess I will get in in July.... Defiantly not renewing I should send them the renewal card they sent me back with a copy of the CC subscription card I will be getting. First and last time ever subcribing to ACD/mailbox news

bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 3:11am
post #17 of 36

You know it's really very sad, ACD was one of my favorite magazines for years and years, but lately the quality is crap and the service is worse. What were they thinking??? icon_confused.gif

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 3:42am
post #18 of 36

Got my MBN and STILL waiting for ACD!! No renewal here, either!

MaraCarter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaraCarter Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 4:12am
post #19 of 36

I have a story.... I had trouble getting my subscription to MBN, I had an email address from one of the people that work there, that I had emailed back and forth with to get my issue resolved. (My issue was: not getting my Magazine when they had cashed my check 5 months previously.) Anyway, I had her saved in my contacts. I sent out an email recently and some how her email got attached to it. I got the rudest email back from her. All it said was I dont know you or how you got this email address. Dont email me. Nice way to answer your work emails. I wish I knew who was in charge so I could forward that to her boss. Im sure they would be so proud of her.
I will never spend another dime of mine with this company

SweetSweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSweetCreations Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 4:49pm
post #20 of 36

I have had the same problems as everyone else, I did try to renew but they lost my payment.

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 6:09pm
post #21 of 36

I have been with ACD from the start and loved their magazine, but you all are absolutely right, no issue in 2010 and it's April, their service is horrible and no way to run a business. Grace M was on the talk radio saying how great things were going and all, I think she's completely out of touch with her staff and hasn't a clue to what's going on...

Sorry to say, I won't subscribe to CC magazine unless they have articles or tutorials on HOW to make the cakes. I don't care to look at pictures alone without info on how it's done. This was what I liked about ACD. but I won't renew with them either.....

bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 7:38pm
post #22 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetflowers

I have been with ACD from the start and loved their magazine, but you all are absolutely right, no issue in 2010 and it's April, their service is horrible and no way to run a business. Grace M was on the talk radio saying how great things were going and all, I think she's completely out of touch with her staff and hasn't a clue to what's going on...

Sorry to say, I won't subscribe to CC magazine unless they have articles or tutorials on HOW to make the cakes. I don't care to look at pictures alone without info on how it's done. This was what I liked about ACD. but I won't renew with them either.....

Agreed! Whoever is in charge at ACD has not a clue! icon_confused.gif I agree with you on CC mag too, I want to see more "how to" in the magazine (but I did get a subscription.) What will the ACD folks think when nobody renews??? icon_surprised.gificon_cool.gif

Zamode Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 4:43am
post #23 of 36

The CC magazine is just beautiful but I agree, I am looking for more self-help with the tutorials also. . .

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 4:47am
post #24 of 36

Will subscribe to CC magazine. Saw the first issue. Wonderful Photos and ideas.

Smallfrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smallfrye Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 5:17am
post #25 of 36

This is so funny I just got my renewal form from ACD. I have only recived 2 issues in a year subscription, and every time I emailed them and called they said that they would extend my subscription. So when I called to ask them why I had to renew they told me that it was time and I asked about all the email that I have stating the dated would be pushed out because of my lack of magazines. The lady told me that was not her problem and hung up. So no I will not renew with them or MBN their service is the same.

pinkflower1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkflower1212 Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 5:24am
post #26 of 36

I subscribed to ACD at the begining of November 2009. I had to prove that I paid for my subscription (which I paid for online) than I have gone round and round trying to find out where my magazine is? The last email I received which was right after St. Pat's day said that my magazine was in the mail, and I should have it in my hands by April 8th. Well today's the 9th and still no magazine.

I really don't think they like that I keep replying to their reply from my original email from November. Every reply is from a new person, but it shows EVERY bit of communication with ACD. Guess I'll never get to read this magazine.

Zamode Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 8:25pm
post #27 of 36

Skip the emails and call, it will work a bit faster (not fast, just faster than email). I just received my ACD today. I haven't looked through it yet but it certainly is thin!

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 10:29pm
post #28 of 36

They told me I'd get it March 24th. I called them April 7th and they were shocked that I hadn't received my issue. They had no qualms about sending me another one and that I should get it in approximately (drum roll, please) 2-4 weeks!!! Are they for real?

bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 10:38pm
post #29 of 36

It's April 10th and I still have yet to see an ACD issue for 2010! icon_mad.gif

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 10:40pm
post #30 of 36

Atleast its coming out finally. Im in it this month and Ive been patiently waiting for it so I can show my mom and family, friends. Im so excited! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%