Is There A Tutorial Thread On Basic Piping Techniques?

Decorating By Roxybc Updated 6 Apr 2010 , 6:22pm by Polkadot79

Roxybc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roxybc Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 2:58pm
post #1 of 13

I don't have much experience on basic piping techniques such as shell borders, tiny dots, scroll work, etc. Are there some tutorials on here that will show me what to do, along with a description of how much pressure and any proper techniques/movements I should be using?

12 replies
aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 3:03pm
post #2 of 13

Not sure about threads on here. You might check out youtube. Lots of decorators have posted videos on a variety of techniques. Good luck!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 3:05pm
post #3 of 13

The Wilton year books have instructions in the back.

Roxybc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roxybc Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 3:39pm
post #4 of 13

I live in the UK and don't really have access to the Wilton year books

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 3:50pm
post #5 of 13

There is a thread on different piping borders... I'm not sure how extensive the directions are, but I will post it if I can find it for you.

tiggy2 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 3:59pm
post #6 of 13

The Wilton site also has some directions.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 4:11pm
post #7 of 13

Okay, here's a link to piping borders (which is often a great way to improve general piping skills.) There are some good references in here to other forums that contain info as well. It will probably give you additional places to search as you read through it:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-fsearch-results.html

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 4:21pm
post #8 of 13

why youtube to the rescue
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cake+piping+borders&aq=f

and a basic google search for piping techniques
http://www.google.com/search?q=cake+piping+techniques&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&client=firefox-a&rlz=1R1GGLL_en___US359

and a more specific google search for border piping techniques
http://www.google.com/search?num=30&hl=en&newwindow=1&client=firefox-a&hs=vkW&rlz=1R1GGLL_en___US359&q=cake+border+piping+techniques&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

it's SO easy to find stuff -- almost TOO much stuff - by searching the net.

it's vast repository for information that keeps growing exponentially.

tiggy2 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 4:26pm
post #9 of 13

And it's even easier if you can get someone else to search for you icon_smile.gif

Doug Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 4:34pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

And it's even easier if you can get someone else to search for you icon_smile.gif

it amazes me how even HS students are still nigh unto clueless about doing searches for information.

you'd think, being raised with this technology - they are the digital generation - they'd "get it"

of course, it just may be USEFUL info they avoid - they sure can find every game / music / gossip / shopping site out there.

Polkadot79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polkadot79 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 5:38pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

Quote:

it amazes me how even HS students are still nigh unto clueless about doing searches for information.

you'd think, being raised with this technology - they are the digital generation - they'd "get it"

of course, it just may be USEFUL info they avoid - they sure can find every game / music / gossip / shopping site out there.

Trust me I know about the HS students. I teach Microsoft Office in a high school lab. They can't figure out how to do basic research, but can find every proxymusic, video and game site out there.

Doug Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 5:56pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polkadot79

Quote:

Quote:

Trust me I know about the HS students. I teach Microsoft Office in a high school lab. They can't figure out how to do basic research, but can find every proxymusic, video and game site out there.

I teach HS Journalism (yearbook & newspaper with broadcast coming soon. I must be nuts!), Theatre I-IV, English I-III (I hate Brit. Lit. with the exception of "Bill") oh, and I hate Office 2007 and am coveting CS5!!!

Polkadot79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polkadot79 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 6:22pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polkadot79

Quote:

Quote:

I teach HS Journalism (yearbook & newspaper with broadcast coming soon. I must be nuts!), Theatre I-IV, English I-III (I hate Brit. Lit. with the exception of "Bill") oh, and I hate Office 2007 and am coveting CS5!!!

Ah cool! I'm assuming you all are not on block scheduling with that large of a curriculum load. I've been teaching the same class (different versions) for 4 years. I'm trying to convince my dept head to add the Interactive Media pathway into our course load. I would LOVE to teach Photoshop, flash animation, etc.!

Sorry to OP for getting OT icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%