The Best Pre-Made Gumpaste????

Decorating By Chippi Updated 6 Apr 2010 , 7:01pm by KKristy

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 9:26pm
post #1 of 13

I've used Wilton's but was just wondering if any advanced cake decorators have a favorite? icon_smile.gif

12 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 9:36pm
post #2 of 13

I'm not an advance decorator but I love using Fran Paste. It's not really pre-made, it is semi homemade. Other than that, I also love using Nicholas Lodge's recipe.

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 9:44pm
post #3 of 13

I am only a hobbyist (for now) but I like Satin Ice Gumpaste.

cakemom42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom42 Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 9:50pm
post #4 of 13

I love Nick Lodges!! Used it all the time!!

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 9:51pm
post #5 of 13

I am not advanced ( Ry I think with your winning best of show you can call yourself advanced icon_smile.gif )

But I use the Nicholas Lodge recipe too. In a pinch I have used Wilton premade, Didn't like it BUT the wiltom mix (powder ina can you just add water too) works really well.

There are no cake decorating stores where I live and my only choices are Michaels and JoAnns or ordering online. (Even Michaels and Joann are an hour drive) So I try to keep a couple of cans of the wilton mix on hand in case I run out of Tylose and have to wait to get it online.

I am goilg to have to check out Fran Paste.....

11cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
11cupcakes Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 10:06pm
post #6 of 13

I use Satin Ice and LOVE IT! Very easy to work with and flowers look great. I used Wilton before, it's usable but you'll see difference in your flowers with Satin Ice, it will save you some time too.

11cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
11cupcakes Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 10:10pm
post #7 of 13

It's off the topic, Rylan I consider you advanced, your cakes are beautiful and your photos look so profesional.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 10:12pm
post #8 of 13

satin ice is too soft for me to use. takes flowers longer to dry. my premde favorite is wilton premade. not the can. and my homemade favorite is nick lodges. i use these two all the time. bakel is also too soft and stays wet. we all are different and live in different places. so we all like different mediums to work with.

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 3:36pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

I'm not an advance decorator but I love using Fran Paste. It's not really pre-made, it is semi homemade. Other than that, I also love using Nicholas Lodge's recipe.

I would even think you fall above advanced Rylan! icon_rolleyes.gif So can you share your Fran paste recipe??? Please oh please Rylan! icon_smile.gif

BTW, I didn't receive any replies on my post in my email...sorry guys thanks for your replies I am getting ready to make a bunch of exotic flowers.

Chippi!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 5:33pm
post #10 of 13

11cupcakes, Jaime and Chippy, that's so kind of all of you to say.

Here is the recipe: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/3063/Modelling-paste

I was told that it is best used to make strong accents.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 6:36pm
post #11 of 13

I'm not a fan of Satin Ice. It is too soft and takes too long to dry.

I use Wilton because it dries really fast and dries hard. The only problem with Wilton is the packaging. I often find that the corners are hard in the packages in the store. If you can find a fresh package, make sure you seal it in a ziplock bag or take it out and double wrap it and then seal it in an airtight bag.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 6:56pm
post #12 of 13

Rylan, if you are not advanced, then I am a toddler cake decorator. haha. Ga ga, goo goo!!!!

I use Satin Ice gumpaste...Wilton in a pinch but don't like it as well... open to trying new stuff. Can you get N. Lodge at GSA?

KKristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKristy Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 7:01pm
post #13 of 13

ummm......Rylan - if you are not advanced, I don't know who is - it doesn't matter how long you've been decorating....you obviously have great talent !

I have used wilton (powder) it's okay and CK gumpaste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%