Help! I Don't Even Know Where To Begin

Decorating By threeforhim Updated 6 Apr 2010 , 3:22pm by 2txmedics

threeforhim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
threeforhim Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 6:55pm
post #1 of 4

I just got a call for a truck cake. It's for a 16 yr. old getting his dad's (surprise) 86 chevy truck. They're wanting something 3D, outline of cake or a carved cake. I don't even know where to begin for a carved cake (I think I'd like to try carving though). It's to serve 30-40 people. Can someone who has experience carving or doing a truck cake please advise me. I've already been online and printed out a side and front view of an 86 chevy. I know to make it larger and use it to cut, but that is where my knowledge stops. I have so many questions beyond that. Any suggestions are appreciated!

3 replies
mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 7:19pm
post #2 of 4

Ok. Pretty easy. Start with the cake. You will probably need to do a 10 x 10 and a 6 x 6. cut the 10 x 10 in half so that you have a 5 x 10 that is 4 inches tall. then cut your 6 x 6 in half so that you have a 3 x 6 that is 4 inches tall. You will want a support under the 3 x 6 part. Fill it all and stick it together, then just start carving away. It SHOULD give you about 30 servings. If you want to go bigger, you could do a 12 x 12 and an 8 x 8, follow the same instructions.

Put a foam block or some similar support under the belly of the truck, and butter cream it in black, so that you don't see the support. An easy thing to use for tires are Wagon Wheels covered either in black fondant, or dipped in black chocolate.

Good luck.
HTH

threeforhim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
threeforhim Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 8:36pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks so much! This helps! Anyone else?

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 3:22pm
post #4 of 4

watching thread

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%