Keep Fondant Lasting Longer!

Decorating By CassCakes Updated 6 Apr 2010 , 2:40am by ChoueiriCakeCo

CassCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CassCakes Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 3:52pm
post #1 of 5

Ok i remember learning that using flour on fondant (to make easier to roll out...you know!) will actually make it dry out quicker! So i was wondering what was the mixture that you should use instead of flour. I think possibly there was something about corn starch or a mix with flour. Ok thanks for any opinions or comments icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 4:32pm
post #2 of 5

I'm fairly new with fondant too - but it lasts plenty long to work with to roll out with cornstarch at least for the smaller pieces. Based on information I read here, I've started using shortening on my mat for larger pieces and that seems to work better and may also keep the fondant a little softer.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 4:47pm
post #3 of 5

First of all I have NEVER heard of using flour. I use a little crisco on a vinyl mat and then after I transfer my fondant to the cake I dust with powdered sugar so that I'm able to use my smoother.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 4:55pm
post #4 of 5

You can use cornstarch though some say this will dry out the fondant.

You can use powder sugar, though some say this makes things sticky.

Or you can use crisco/shortening. With this you can pick up your mat and lay it and the fondant over the cake.

I use crisco for large amounts of fondant and powder sugar and/or cornstrach for smaller amounts.

ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 2:40am
post #5 of 5

I've been told that flour shouldn't be used since the fondant isn't going to be cooked...

I use mostly shortening, but I'll also use powdered sugar.

I've never tried cornstarch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%