How Do I Keep My Fondant....

Decorating By CMTorie Updated 5 Apr 2010 , 11:40pm by LadyinaRedApron

CMTorie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CMTorie Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 6:13am
post #1 of 6

How do I keep my fondant from drying out when sculpting it? I've been trying to make the cute curly numbers that you roll, then shape, and I keep getting visible 'cracking' lines. I feel like I'm doing it quickly, so I'm not sure icon_cry.gif

TIA~Torie

5 replies
mvucic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvucic Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 6:54am
post #2 of 6

Have you tried kneading in some crisco shortening? I find using some helps minimize cracking.

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 6:54am
post #3 of 6

Knead the fondant well before you start shaping anything. Keep teh fondant you are not using at the moment well covered. And also I use Crisco on my hands that gives a nice finish and it wont dry out as easy.

robyndmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyndmy Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 6:58am
post #4 of 6

As a newbie to MMF (so take my advice as you will icon_wink.gif ), I've found that I have an easier time with fondant when I microwave it for 4-5 seconds at a time until it is a little softer. Kneading in a tiny bit of Crisco into it can help with some cracking too.

I've also read here on CC that if you're using cornstarch to prevent sticking, powdered sugar can actually be a bit better to use because it tends to help heal cracks.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 10:38pm
post #5 of 6

I make this type of lettering a lot and I know that since the "snakes" are thin and small that they dry out quickly. First knead your fondant till really smooth and pliable, using crisco on your hands. It will almost get shiny looking. At this time, on a board/pad that's also been smeared very lightly with crisco, roll out your snakes, form your letters/numbers and then set aside to dry. This is especially important if you had added tylose to your fondant before kneading and if the fondant is colored...both of those items will dry out your fondant. The rule of thumb is, if it's cracking, add crisco and if it's sticky add powdered sugar. HTH!

LadyinaRedApron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyinaRedApron Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 11:40pm
post #6 of 6

I would love to know what kind of lettering you are talking about... I'm intrigued!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%