I Tried Tappits With Wet And Dry Ahhh!!!

Decorating By madgeowens Updated 8 Apr 2010 , 3:10am by cupcake_cutie

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 6:09am
post #1 of 22

neither way helped at all......who had the secret to get the dang letters(script) out of the tappits....? what do you do, what do you use?

21 replies
ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 6:20am
post #2 of 22

Oh you poor thing icon_sad.gif. They can be a challenge for sure. First question: did you use gumpaste, or fondant? I can't get fondant to work in those things at all so I always use GP.

Second question: which tappits? I have funky upper and lower, and I'll tell ya, the lowers are MUCH easier than the uppers. <oops just reread your post, you used Script. OK I haven't used script so I don't know if it tends to be a difficult one or not...>

Third ? - did you watch Tonedna's and Aine2's videos? If you tried different methods you may have already seen them but I must say, they helped me a lot. I think I found myself having better luck with Tonedna's method. The thinner the gp the better the results and getting the gp to just stick to your work surface (when I can get them to do it!!!) and then peeling the unused gp away...that was a huge help. I do still find that sometimes with the uppercase funkys, I do have to poke some of the letter out grrr. The tip about letting the gp dry out just for a few extra secs after rolling, that works well too.

Good luck as you keep experimenting. Practice makes perfect -- you'll get there!

madgeowens Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 6:44am
post #3 of 22

Thanks I tried hers too, but maybe the gumpaste was not thin enough. Thanks I will keep trying.

KarmaStew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarmaStew Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 7:04am
post #4 of 22

I always use GP, like it says in the instructions. I've never had a problem with them. Tappits require skill.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 10:46am
post #5 of 22

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-669386-tappits.html

This is a pic tutorial I did of how I usually make my tappit letters...

hth

PS.... I also have tried using cling wrap with them and it works great.... no shortening... no PS.... you just roll your paste thin.... cover with cling wrap... push tappits in the paste... move it around a bit... then when you lift the tappits... the letters are nicely formed with the cling wrap over them...

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 11:07am
post #6 of 22

ive never had much luck with using fondant, ive got both the script and funky letters, for some reason i have much more trouble with the funky letters lol, i always use gumpaste or petal paste and roll it really thin. push down, wiggly and lift off and flick, but i did manage to break one of my tappits a while back so i think i might try that clingfilm technique, thanks dalis4joe!

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 12:00pm
post #7 of 22

I spray the tappits with Pam and they fondant or gum paste comes right out. The surface is "normal" in about 5 minutes. Never had a problem once I started doing this. HTH

PoodleDoodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PoodleDoodle Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 12:15pm
post #8 of 22

I find that if I roll my GP on a silicone mat then the letters stick to the cutter. If I roll the GP on the counter with a little shortening then they stick to the counter & not to the cutter. Don't roll too thin or you loose some of the impression.

jadedlogic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadedlogic Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 12:20pm
post #9 of 22

When I use them I roll the gumpaste or fondant out really thin and let it sit for a short time to harden a bit or i use a dusting pouch with cornstarch on them and it works well - I sometimes have to use a pin at a 45 degree angle to grab it but most of the time it works without it....I haven't the script though.

Kims_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kims_cakes Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 12:31pm
post #10 of 22

Thanks dalis4joe! I'll have to try the plastic wrap next time, great idea!

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 12:41pm
post #11 of 22

I used script upper and lower for the first time a few weeks ago. I used Aine2's method after watching her tutorial on Youtube, and I didn't have any problems. However, I did tell DH that if I hadn't watched the tutorial, I imagine I would be incredibly frustrated with them icon_biggrin.gif

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 1:38pm
post #12 of 22

The tappits definitely take practice. I roll my GP pretty thin, cut it into strips, then into squares and I let it sit for at least 30minutes. I spray my cutters w/nonstick spray. When I cut I push down and then move it around on the counter and the GP falls away from the cutter. Then just tap it out. Once I started that method I don't have any problems. By letting them sit so long before cutting I can move the letters around after cutting and they don't distort.

I'm going to try the cling wrap method next time. I've used that with other cutters but not with the letter cutters. Great tip.

madgeowens Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 4:36pm
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaStew

I always use GP, like it says in the instructions. I've never had a problem with them. Tappits require skill.

lol.................ok then....I will have to try that.....

madgeowens Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 4:37pm
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieD-oh

I used script upper and lower for the first time a few weeks ago. I used Aine2's method after watching her tutorial on Youtube, and I didn't have any problems. However, I did tell DH that if I hadn't watched the tutorial, I imagine I would be incredibly frustrated with them icon_biggrin.gif

I will check that out for sure, thanks

madgeowens Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 8:30pm
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieD-oh

Have not seen this one I will check it out, thanks!

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 8:50pm
post #16 of 22

I had to make the funky alph letters this week-end - used fondant. Roll thin, let sit several minutes, pressed into the mold and then let them sit in the mold a while before tapping them out. That seemed to help (ie letting stay in the mold before trying to tap them out) - oh and used lots of cornstarch on both the paste and the mold. Same thing works for the script letters too.

marisworthit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marisworthit Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 10:20pm
post #17 of 22

By looking at your cake picture, I can tell that your medium (fondant/GP whatever you used) was too soft.

madgeowens Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 1:21am
post #18 of 22

Yes it was, and I was in a hurry which never helps

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 1:29am
post #19 of 22

I love tappits, use them all of the time! I mix tylose with fondant. With my pasta attachment on 4 I roll it out, press the tappits into the fondant and smack it on the table...out they come! The drier the fondant/gumpaste the better.

southernswthrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southernswthrt Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 1:36am
post #20 of 22

I have the funky letters and it's been disaster every time I've tried to use them icon_cry.gif

madgeowens Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 2:58am
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyonzlake

I love tappits, use them all of the time! I mix tylose with fondant. With my pasta attachment on 4 I roll it out, press the tappits into the fondant and smack it on the table...out they come! The drier the fondant/gumpaste the better.

Thanks for the tip, I will give it a try

cupcake_cutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake_cutie Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 3:10am
post #22 of 22

I will definitely try the clingwrap method!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%