Help, My Stacked Cakes Always Are Sinking On One Side!

Decorating By drowninginfondant Updated 5 Apr 2010 , 8:32pm by madgeowens

drowninginfondant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drowninginfondant Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 1:07am
post #1 of 18

I cannot figure out why. I'm using candy sticks as my supports with a wooden dowel in the middle. I'm also using cardboard cakes plates under each stacked layer. I do use a box mix so could it be that it just isn't strong enough to keep the support system in place? Is that why people use the wasp (?) recipe. I get so many compliments on the taste of my cake that I hate to change my recipe but... I've attached a photo for an example. TIA.
LL

17 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 1:17am
post #2 of 18

No, it's not the box mixes that are doing it. I've used mixes for 30 years.

I've never used candy sticks as supports, so no input on that. Are all of the supports the same size? Do you measure one stick then cut the rest to the size of that stick?

If you are measuring each stick individually, then you may have one or two that are shorter and that's what's causign the lean.

there's a problem with your support system ... not your cake.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 1:17am
post #3 of 18

I don't think candy sticks are the right type of support. I've used straws and never had a problem. Plus, you have to make sure that your cakes are very level before stacking them.
Your cake looks great by the way! Nice job.

Sherry1030 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherry1030 Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 1:19am
post #4 of 18

Your cake is adorable! I love the colors and the figure.
I'm not an expert, but I don't think box mixes are as sturdy. The WASC cake is more dense - it holds up to fondant and stacking. There are so many variations to it as well, I'm sure if you start with the basic recipe you could make it your own.. HTH..

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 1:19am
post #5 of 18

Easy answer, I think.

By candy sticks do you mean those wrapped paper sticks? If so, they aren't meant to be used as cake supports, as they will get moist and basically collapse.

And the wooden dowel thru the middle is completely false security. If your cake really starts to go sideways, the dowel will stay stuck in the bottom board as it tears thru your cake.

1. Make sure each layer inside the tier is level.
2. use SPS as your support system.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 1:21am
post #6 of 18

The cake itself should have nothing to do with your support. Nothing should be supported by cake. The second tier should be solidly on a plate that rests solidly on your dowels. You should be able to support the second tier this way even if your first tier is made of cotton candy.

Make sure your candy sticks are perfectly vertical so they're not leaning. Also cut all of your candy sticks tot he exact same length. Don't cut each to match the height of that particular point in the cake.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 1:28am
post #7 of 18

Do you level your cakes before icing? If you're using the kind of candy sticks that Leah mentioned that's for sure one of your problems.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 2:44am
post #8 of 18

Leah and Debi = experts in the field.... when they say this is it... then that's what it is... I respect their years of experience and have always taken their advice and so far.... always great results....

hth icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 2:48am
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis4joe

Leah and Debi = experts in the field.... when they say this is it... then that's what it is... I respect their years of experience and have always taken their advice and so far.... always great results....

hth icon_smile.gif

ditto

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 3:13am
post #10 of 18

Are you covering your cardboard with something waterproof?
Cardboard absorbs moisture and buckles.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 3:53am
post #11 of 18

Just FYI .... I don't cover my cardboards. Yes, they absorb moisture but it's not like you're soaking them in a bathtub of water or anything. Never had a cardboard buckle. And the only time I ever doubled up on cardboard was on the very bottom layer. Even with my 5 and 6 tier cakes.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 5:47am
post #12 of 18

However you use more than just cardboard. The OP sounded as though the only support was cardboard and lollipop sticks.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 6:18am
post #13 of 18

I had cardboard sink on me when I made a carved car the first time...used wasc, and the moisture and the weight of the fondant flattened all the tired..........however that was really bad support on my part...I do not cover my cardboard cake boards wither...and I agree with Leah if you are using lolipop sticks thats not sturdy. Myself, I love the long plastic dowels about an inch or so in diameter that you can cut with a knife.........hth........sorry your cake shhifted on you, it was very cool looking.

chinadoll652003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chinadoll652003 Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 6:29am
post #14 of 18

I have the same problem. I also use wooden dowels all cut to the same length and plastic separator plates. Could it be that the cake hasn't had time to "settle" before putting the next layer on?

kim62808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kim62808 Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 7:48am
post #15 of 18

Sorry ur cakes buckling on you , I use mixes { it's your support I have never heard of candy stick/lolipop sticks as supprt b/c if they get soggy they would start to fold /buckle like when kid sucks on the lolipop stick lol , use wooden dowels and the one in the middle or plastic dowles I use th palstic dowels and the wooden ones for like 6 in cakes even bubble tea straws{ large straws from mcd's } may be better than candy stick {but i dont know what candy stick is } Hope that helped a bit . Hey I have had many problems along the way ...we all do !

drowninginfondant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drowninginfondant Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 10:58am
post #16 of 18

Ok, I think I'm getting the picture that it's my candy sticks. I do level all of my cakes and I do cut the sticks to all of the same length. I will check out the SPS method that was mentioned. Thanks for all of your responses and keep them coming because I love to read your thoughts. I've learned a lot from you all. Thanks again.

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 12:39pm
post #17 of 18

Definitely the support system. I SWEAR by SPS! icon_biggrin.gif Beautiful cakes Btw!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 8:32pm
post #18 of 18

We all learn every day...your cakes are gorgeous!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%