Mmf Disaster-What Did I Do Wrong???

Decorating By cmom Updated 5 Apr 2010 , 1:38pm by cmom

cmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmom Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 7:15pm
post #1 of 6

I made little mmf purses to go atop cupcakes for my daughters party and they turned out very cute. HOWEVER, I put them on the cupcakes and put it in my basement to keep them cool because it was a very warm day. Several hours later, 15 minutes before the party I took them out and the mmf purses were no longer hardened. They were very moist and fell apart!
I was so disappointed! I was able to sort of fix them but WHERE DID i GO WRONG???

5 replies
dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 7:20pm
post #2 of 6

did you add tylose to the mmf? how long did you leave them to dry before you placed them on top of the cupcakes?

pinkorchid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkorchid Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 8:20pm
post #3 of 6

hmmm...not sure! So far with in my experience as long as the MMF is not covered air tight it drys/firms up and stays that way.
Glad you were able to fix them.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 8:49pm
post #4 of 6

Basements are known to be very damp places. It sounds like the fondant absorbed whatever moisture may have been in the air down in your basement. Moisture wil KILL fondant every time!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 9:28pm
post #5 of 6

I agree with the moisture issue. There are some commercial fondants that can deal with moisture but MMF I don't think handles it nearly as well. Just leaving them at room temp. works for me, even in humid Ohio summer weather......the dampness of the basement is the culprit, I would bet on it.

cmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmom Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 1:38pm
post #6 of 6

I did not use tylose, I am not even sure what that is actually. I did let them dry for about 2 days.They were dry, but still pliable. The one color I did actually seemed too dry.
I think the basement was a lesson learned! No more of that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%