What Colors Do I Mix To Get...?

Decorating By NYmomma5 Updated 4 Apr 2010 , 11:55pm by Jeep_girl816

NYmomma5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NYmomma5 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 8:50pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a castle cake for my son's birthday and am fairly new to cake decorating. I was wondering how do I get grey frosting for the outside walls/stones?

Naomi

4 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 10:29pm
post #2 of 5

Are you using buttercream or fondant? Either way you just add a little black to white. Some color charts say to also add a touch of blue. I've never added the blue. I just use the black myself.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 1:08am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Are you using buttercream or fondant? Either way you just add a little black to white. Some color charts say to also add a touch of blue. I've never added the blue. I just use the black myself.

Ditto icon_smile.gif

NYmomma5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NYmomma5 Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 11:25pm
post #4 of 5

thanks ladies! i don't have black so i was wondering if there was any other specific color combination (3 red to 5 blue to 2 yellow...), but it's probably best just to get some black to add to my white buttercream.

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 11:55pm
post #5 of 5

I always have issues with grey so when I need it I usually buy some pre-made black and mix it in with my white. I don't make grey that often. For some reason black food coloring just doesn't do it for me, but the already made black, (I usually just run out and get wilton tubes of frosting or the pack of fondant that has browns, flesh and black,) works great. A little goes a long way so you're not putting a ton of nasty tasting Wilton stuff in there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%