Satin Ice Fondant/help Needed With Consistency...

Decorating By dalis4joe Updated 4 Apr 2010 , 1:17am by SpecialtyCakesbyKelli

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 4:55pm
post #1 of 16

Hi everyone....

I colored a batch of fondant and last night when I tried to knead it.... it kept braking on me... it's like it seemed dry... so I kept kneading but as soon as I would put it on the cake... the edges would start to crack... I don't know why it's dry... I thought I overworked it..so I wrap it again and just tried this morning to roll it again and it's still dry... icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

I had seen a thread (that OF COURSE I can't find now! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif ) here that said to add something... but I can't recall if it was glycerin or glucose.... or mabe it was corn syrup... I dunno!

Please help... or let me know if I just have to trash icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif it and just make a new colored batch.... gggrrrrrrrrrrrr

TIA

15 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 4:57pm
post #2 of 16

Knead in some shortening....that should help moisten it up...

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 4:59pm
post #3 of 16

I usually get the opposite when I color my Satin Ice. It gets too sticky and I have to add powdered sugar to dry it out.

Try adding shortening to it and work it in. I do that when I get a piece that is too dry.

11cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
11cupcakes Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 5:11pm
post #4 of 16

Try shortning, but not Crisco, I heard it can loose it's elasticity if you add Crisco. I get this problem with Satin Ice sometimes too.

dalis4joe Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 5:31pm
post #5 of 16

ggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr it's not working!!!! ohhh this is just so frustrating!!!!

ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 5:50pm
post #6 of 16

I use glucose to soften my fondant and add elasticity, but my fondant is homemade. Others on CC have said to add glycerin. If you have both, you could try adding a bit of one to a small ball of the dry fondant, and do the same with the other and see what works best. It's a pain when things like this happen! Good luck!

dalis4joe Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 6:00pm
post #7 of 16

awesome idea... i do have both... going to try on a little wad one with glycerin another w/ glucose thankss

dalis4joe Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 7:36pm
post #8 of 16

is anyone good at doing cake central searches?

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 7:51pm
post #9 of 16

A good way to search is actually to use google - put what u want and cake central into the search.

Adding some crisco (trex) usually helps me, but only so much. It sounds like u have rolled it out properly a few times, so I don't know if it can be rescued after that.

I think jennifer dontz (spelling?) has a trouble shooting guide somewhere, although it's for home made fondant, but I think thtlat explains what the ingrediants in fondant do.
xx

dalis4joe Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 7:56pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by brincess_b

A good way to search is actually to use google - put what u want and cake central into the search.

Adding some crisco (trex) usually helps me, but only so much. It sounds like u have rolled it out properly a few times, so I don't know if it can be rescued after that.

I think jennifer dontz (spelling?) has a trouble shooting guide somewhere, although it's for home made fondant, but I think thtlat explains what the ingrediants in fondant do.
xx

I think that's what I am trying to find!!! I resad something about troubleshooting but I search and can't find it... lemme try with her name.,. thanks...

dalis4joe Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 10:55pm
post #11 of 16

the test of the glycerin worked like a charm... i was able to cover the top half as a test... no tears no breaking... so i will add it to the whole batch and try again

thanks to everyone for all your help!

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 11:43pm
post #12 of 16

If you don't mind my asking.... what color were you trying to get? I AWLAYS have the problem with tearing when I'm tring to get an ivory or tan color. Seems like anything I add brown to does this. So... tried to just buy ivory satin ice.....still does the same thing!

dalis4joe Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 12:58am
post #13 of 16

Amethyst.... DH thinks we added too much color... but I don't think so... this is thwe 2nd time this happens to me... not sure why...

I guess if I need colored fondant... I will have to make some MMF and color it b4 adding the PS... 'cause when it's white... I never have a problem with it....

weird....

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 1:05am
post #14 of 16

I do think you can add too much color to it if you need it super duper bright....I had some issues with it, I used some leftover green fondant and a bit of white, and then I had to add quite a bit of other colors to make it more of a pine green color instead of the bright bluish-green it was. So it ended up really having too much color in it. And while it was NOT dry (actually pretty soft) it did have some issues on the cake with a bit of stretching and some pockmarks around the edges.

I do have a theory though too that Satin Ice can get old and cause that problem...because the main time I have trouble with it is when I use my older leftover pieces that I wrap up and save...they tend to break or tear much more easily than the fresh fondant that has only been open for a couple weeks or less. They work fine for decorative pieces, but a few times I've tried to cover a cake in some leftover colored fondant and it didn't work nearly so well.

But try shortening and even some buttercream works...just grab a bit of buttercream and knead it in. If the fondant is old though I am not sure if it will work, seems like sometimes the older fondant can "seize up".

Good luck!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 1:08am
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialtyCakesbyKelli

If you don't mind my asking.... what color were you trying to get? I AWLAYS have the problem with tearing when I'm tring to get an ivory or tan color. Seems like anything I add brown to does this. So... tried to just buy ivory .....still does the same thing!

The ivory does seem harder to work with! I wonder though if its because it sits in the warehouses a long time and gets more old?

The best way to make brown is to buy the chocolate satin ice or use a wad of that mixed with white....it mixes very well.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 1:17am
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialtyCakesbyKelli

If you don't mind my asking.... what color were you trying to get? I AWLAYS have the problem with tearing when I'm tring to get an ivory or tan color. Seems like anything I add brown to does this. So... tried to just buy ivory .....still does the same thing!

The ivory does seem harder to work with! I wonder though if its because it sits in the warehouses a long time and gets more old?

The best way to make brown is to buy the chocolate or use a wad of that mixed with white....it mixes very well.

Yeah, I use the choc fondant for brown... but still haven't figured out the ivory thing. I finally just threw it away, it makes me mad every time I attepmt to use it. Glad I only got 5 lbs!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%