Freezing Cakes In Deep Freezer? Good Idea?

Decorating By VS8894 Updated 3 Apr 2010 , 5:27pm by leah_s

VS8894 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VS8894 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 4

I am going to freeze my cakes for the first time, due to a very big wedding. Is it okay to freeze them in a deep freeze? I would put one layer of cakes, wait till they freeze, then stack another set on them?

Any advise, greatly appreciated!

Vicki

3 replies
Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 5:07pm
post #2 of 4

I always freeze my cake in a "deep freezer". I have a chest type freezer in my basement and use it all of the time for cakes. Just make sure that you wrap them in enough plastic wrap. Be careful that you do not crush your cake or smoosh it when wrapping it - this can happen very easily.

I store mine in cardboard boxes (like where reams of paper come in) and then put a piece of cardboard between each cake. But very large cakes would not fit in these boxes. You could take pieces of cardboard and put them between your cakes when you put them in the freezer even if you don't put them in a box.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 5:10pm
post #3 of 4

I individually wrap each layer then place them (the larger tiers) single layer 'til frozen(or several hours) then, place another layer on those and continue in the same fashion until all are done....to keep from squashing any of the layers. I also place cake boards on the racks of the freezer to prevent grooving of the layers.

ETA: 8" or smaller, I don't wait 'til one layer is frozen...I just stack them in there...two by two...if any higher, I do wait until frozen before putting any more on top of them.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 5:27pm
post #4 of 4

Sure. Deep freezer, upright freezer, makes no difference.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%